Chapter FORTY- EIGHT

Nicholas's P.O.V

When we finished breakfast, I excused myself and gave granny a call to inform her of my whereabouts. I went back to the kitchen and helped Susan with the dishes. From the open door of the kitchen, I could see Alex sat on the chair in the dinning, her head placed between her palms and her eyes shut. I shook my head. She's tired.

I finished the dishes and cleaned my hand with a napkin. "You're done?" Susan said, entering the kitchen. I grinned and nodded at her.

"Yes. Is there anything else you need help with?" I asked. Her cheeks turned to a light shade of red as she smiled at me.

"Not at all. You know..." She paused, then looked at me. She walked closer and cupped her hand by the sides of her mouth,then whispered. "You know, you would be a good son-in-law" she smiled.

I felt my face warm up and choked out an awkward cough. "Thanks for the compliment, Susan." I said, awkwardly. She laughed at my reaction, lightly.

"You like her, don't you?" She smiled again, her gaze firm on me. I almost squirmed at the spot. Fuck! Am I that obvious?

I was about to answer when a tried looking Alex stormed into the kitchen, rubbing her eyes cutely. "Are you guys gossiping about me?" She said, narrowing her eyes. Her hair is in a messy bun and there's a dark circle forming around her eye.

I chuckled as Susan gave Alex a stern look. "Alex, have you had your bath?" Susan scolded her. Her eyes grows wide and her cheeks burn in embarrassment.

"What?! Mom!" She whined, sneaking a quick glance at me. I'm busy trying to hold in my laughter.

"Don't 'mom' me! Since there's no school today, you're going to do that laundry you've been piling up" Susan said again, placing her hands on her hip.

"Mom! Stop embarrassing me! Ugh!" She groaned and stormed out if the kitchen. Susan let a small smile spread on her lips and she dropped her hands by her sides.

She chuckled and faced me. "So..back to my question. Do you like her?" She asked me. Honestly, I like her. I don't know what it is about her that just amuses me every time. But a bro code is a bro code. No matter how much I like her, she's my best friend's girlfriend. I'll just keep the feelings to myself and try to get over them someway. She already probably hates me anyway.

"I don't, Susan. She has a lovely boyfriend. And he's my best bro" I smiled, almost sadly. Susan's smile faltered for a bit and she sighed.

"Well...okay." she nodded and made her way out of the kitchen. The she stopped by the doorway of the kitchen, looking back at me. "But I have to remind you, I'm not blind." She smiled and left. I ran my hands through my hair and left to the sitting room.

Alex is lying on the couch, her right hand and leg, dangling from the couch. I chuckled and rolled my eyes. On the hand dangling, is a remote that she keeps pressing every minute to change the channel. I walked over to her and lifted her head up, placing it on my lap, then sat down. "This seems interesting" I hummed in sarcasm.

She sighed heavily and relaxed on my lap. "Yeah, well. It's not like there's anything I can do" she said, boredom evident in her tone. I raised an eyebrow.

"You have lots of clothes to clean up. Your room is messy too." I said and she rolled her eyes.

"I know! And it's not that messy anyway" she huffed. I chuckled and involuntary swept some strands of hair from her cheeks and tucked it behind her ear. She stiffed up on my lap, holding her breath. I realized what I just did and retrieved my hand. Shit! What if she isn't comfortable with that?