El shoved the blonde girls legs out of the way so she could sit down where they had been, nearly pushing Marlene off the sofa in the process. "You seem cheery," Marlene laughed, "Whats happened now?"

"Potter... and Rosier," El huffed, looking round the room to check that Evan wasn't present. "I've been up since sparrows fart this morning, because Potter decided it would be fun to steal my curtains!" Marlene appeared to find this all very amusing, which didnt help Eleanor's anger. "Then, Rosier asked me to go to Hogsmeade with him," She visibly cringed as she remembered the awkward encounter.

"What did you say?" Marlene asked, seeming genuinely curious.

"To who?"

"Evan,"

"I said no of course. I-" El started only to be cut off by Marlene dissmissing her with her hand.

"Don't date. Yeh, i know. But Rosier's hot." El raised a dark eyebrow at Marlenes words, as if to say really? "You're the one that had sex with him, you must like something about him."

"I was drunk,"

"You're always drunk," Marlene said dismissively, "But i think a date would do you some good, might make you less moody."

"I'm not moody!" Marlene laughed as her friend completely proved her point, "But even if i wanted to date, i bet Sirius fifteen galleons i'd be single at the end of this year."

The blonde rolled her eyes at the head girls stubborness and decided to change the subject, "You heard from your mother yet?"

"Yep, it was delightful," El laughed, " 'Dont embarrass me, dont get fat, dont talk to any mudbloods' was the gist of it" El mocked her mothers sacred 28 accent, pulling a snobby face.

Marlene scoffed, "She makes you seem like a ray of sunshine." El playfully glared at her, "What about everything with you know who? has he recruited your family yet?" the playful aura around the conversation had now died. Eleanor hadnt really thought much about Voldemort since the start of term, she knew he was trying to get most pureblood families on his side and had succeeded with a few.

"I havent heard anything," El shrugged, "Doubt he'd class us as useful since my dad died."

The silence that lay around them now felt very thick, "I'm sorry, i shouldn't have brought it up," Marlene said sympathetically, her hand now on El's knee.

The dark haired girl shook her head, "You want some lunch?" she stood up and walked out the common room, without waiting for Marlene to follow.

***

Same as every sunday, El and James had patrols to do, and same as every sunday, El was waiting my the door, holding a bottle of something or other.

The pair walked through the corridors, Eleanor clearly lost in thought, James being severely amused by being able to move strands of her hair with a simple charm.

Instead of continuing to walk past more classrooms, El sat down by one of the windows at the end of the corridor. Already knowing what she was doing, James sat down beside her, and opened the window.

Wordlessly, she pulled out two cigarettes, lit them both, and passed one the James. After noticing Eleanors unmoving gaze on her shoe, he finally broke the silence, "You seem quiet." His words held an amount of concern that confused her, she looked up and rested her head against the wall behind her.

"Do i?" it wasnt really a question, she knew she'd been a bore since her conversation with Marlene that morning, now not being able to empty her head of the thoughts that had been brought up.

"Something's bothering you," She simply shrugged, and took a few consecutive drags of her cigarette. "Did Malfoy do something again?" the evident concern on his face deepened.

"No, Potter." she paused to take a deep breath, debating with herself about whether she wanted to have this conversation. "I'm fine, its nothing."

James knew how stubborn she was, and accepted that he wouldn't be able to change her mind. "Okay, we dont have to talk about it," he gave her a kind smile and snatched the bottle of fire whiskey out her hand before she could take another sip, "But this," he waved the bottle in front of her face "Wont help anything."

She went to go grab it back but James stood up and held the bottle above his head, out of her reach. While jumping to get the bottle, a small smile crept onto her face and she silently praised James for cheering her up, even the slightest bit.

a/n: short chapter today sorry, only 1.5k words. but OMG THIS STORY IS 15th IN #JAMESPOTTER!!!!! im genuinely so happy and idk how that happened.

'sparrows fart' means really early in the morning btw idk if thats just a british thing.

lmk what you're thinking ab the story, i have a few plans of things that i want to happen, some that you'll love, some that u might hate me for, we'll see.

thank you so much for reading, pls vote if ur enjoying it xxx