Wolfish Affection - Chapters 11-13

Eleven - Frances

By four o'clock, I was so glad just to get out of school. I said bye to Ruby and Sophie and went to find my car. The moment I found my car, I saw that there was someone peering through the windows, checking out the interior. I recognised the mop of black hair instantly. It was Taylor.

"Haven't you got a car of your own?" I joked, making him jump.

He laughed. "Yes. But not one as nice as yours."

That comment made me smile, but then I felt my expression turn sour when I remembered what happened this morning. I unlocked the car and started to get in, but Taylor caught my arm.

"Let go of me right now." I snarled, trying to twist my arm free, but Taylor's grip was like iron.

"Not until we talk." Taylor said, his eyes flashing with anger.

"We will talk, just not here." I snapped angrily, wrenching my arm out of his grip. I climbed into the car and Taylor slid into the passenger seat.

"Where are we going?" He asked.

"My house. My sister needs to eat something that isn't burnt." I said coldly. Taylor laughed at my frostiness.

We drove home in a cold silence. The only sounds were our breathing and the occassional cough.

The moment we stepped into the kitchen through the sliding door, and I'd hung my keys up on the hook in the hall, I yelled, "I'm home!"

As soon as the words left my lips, Sapphire swooped in, going for my knees. Again. She screamed something inaudiable, making Taylor wince.

"Good food?"She pouted.

"Good food." I confirmed. I turned her to face Taylor. "This is Taylor. You're not to kill his knees. OK?"

She nodded and waved at Taylor. "Are you Fwannie's boyfriend?"

Taylor laughed, then blushed. "Just a friend."

Saph ran off.

"She's cute." Taylor chuckled. "She even looks like you."

I laughed, I couldn't help myself. "Why did you leave? If you'd stayed a second longer, I would've told you."

"Told me what?"

"That I don't have a boyfriend." I said airily.

Taylor's eyes lit up, a smile streching across his face. He walked over to the counter where I was assembling a quiche. His hands were on my waist, gently turning me around. His face was getting closer to mine. Our lips met. I was kissing Taylor!

"Ew!" A squeal broke us apart, causing Taylor to jump a foot away from me, whacking his hip on the table.

Sapphire was standing in the doorway, her eyes wide. "Mommy!" She screamed. "Fwannie's kissing a strange boy!"

In a flash, my mom was standing behind Sapphire.

"And who might you be?" My mom asked Taylor, sizing him up, as if for a fight.

Screw it.

I thought. Now seems as good a time as any.

"Mom." I said. "This is Taylor." I took a deep breath and swallowed. "My boyfriend."

Twelve - Taylor

I'd done it! I'd made things right again! And best of all, Fran had introduced me as her boyfriend! Remembering where I was and whose mother was standing in front of me, I offered Mrs King my hand.