Chapter 4: The Man Who Has Had to Face Despair

Start from the beginning

He fired, putting a bullet through her gut and into the wall. "Wrong answer." He moved the gun to her head and put a bullet through her skull.

***

Henry couldn't remember any of the past week by the time the cops got there. Once again, there was no evidence.

Rossi and Hotch exchanged a glance. Who's next?

***

"Don't try anything," Rossi heard behind him.

There was an unmistakable click of a gun cocking.

Dave slowly raised his hands in surrender. "Spencer?"

"Does it matter?" His voice was so numb.

"I just wanted to make sure," Rossi's voice was calm.

"Are you going to beg?"

"No."

"I didn't think so."

Those were the last words David Rossi ever heard.

***

"Are you done yet?" Maeve asked. "Only Hotch is left, and I know what you're planning with him."

"Just one more visit, then I'll join you."

Maeve sighed, "Fine."

***

Jack had already been sent off to stay with Jessica; he and Hotch said their last goodbyes after JJ was killed. Now, Hotch sat in a chair, facing the door, gun in hand, waiting. Of course, Spencer didn't enter through the door; Hotch didn't know how he got in, but suddenly, the younger man was behind him.

"If you're going to shoot me, just do it, Spencer." I'm not scared of you.

"Put the gun on the floor," Reid ordered.

Hotch did.

"You're going to listen to me, and my words are going to stay with you for the rest of your life," Spencer walked around Hotch and took a seat opposite him.

For the rest of my life?

"You were in charge of the BAU. You were supposed to monitor us, keep us safe. I had an addiction and you barely noticed. I had headaches you never knew about. You kept the fact that Emily was alive secret for months, and I doubt you even once thought about me, about how it might affect the rest of us."

"I had to make a decision as the team lead."

"Shut up." Spencer's voice left no room for argument. "You are going to suffer for the rest of your life, knowing that you could not protect us, any of us."

"If you're going to kill me, just kill me," Hotch said, leaning forward. "There's no use waiting."

"I'm not going to kill you, Aaron," Spencer answered, "I'm not going to kill Jack or Jessica either, I know that was your next question. I am going to let you suffer for the rest of your life knowing your team is dead, because of you. You knew it was me, and you couldn't prove it, and your friends are dead, because of your utter and complete incompetence."

"It is not my fault you killed them."

"It's your fault you didn't stop it, and no matter how much you try to deny it, you will forever blame yourself."

"You're wrong," Hotchner snapped, "I know it's your fault."

"You'll still blame yourself." Spencer stood and walked around Hotch, "And you'll blame yourself for something else."

"What?"

Spencer walked around to face Hotch again, kneeling in front of him. "This."

Aaron realized what was going to happen too late. He watched, helpless, almost as if the world was in slow motion. Spencer took the gun from the holster and put it under his chin.

"No!" Hotch screamed.

Hotch tried to rush forward, to stop him and tackle him, but it was too late. He watched the bullet go through the back of Spencer's head, his blood and brain spreading against the wall. Aaron fell against Spencer's body, sobbing as he pulled himself off the younger boy, the corpse.

His team was gone.

His family was gone.

He was alone.

***

Spencer watched as his former boss, a man who used to be his friend, cried over his dead body.

"Was it worth it?" Maeve asked.

He turned. He could see her now, clearly. She was more beautiful than he'd ever seen her; she wasn't crying or tied up or scared. She was calm, perfect, heavenly.

"To be with you? Of course."