Chapter VIII: Trial of Commitment

Start from the beginning

Xingqiu stuffed the pouch of cash into his pocket as he allowed that explanation from the Harbinger sink into his mind. After careful thought, he spoke.

"To begin with, my brother and father once entertained him as a guest. I assume that you've already surveyed the Wangsheng Funeral Parlour and that you failed to find him. I'm sorry to let you know that I have no idea of his whereabouts."

The twinge in Childe's heart was a product of the hopelessness in his soul for a brief moment. But we all know that Childe is built different. He nodded and took the disappointing response like a champ. He turned away and began to walk off.

However, the second son of the Feiyun Commerce Guild had seen the crushing disappointment in him and pity tugged at the boy's heart.

"I'm not done."

Childe whipped his head around and his eyes widened in interest. Xingqiu sighed and slid his book into his pocket.

"I believe Lady Ningguang might have a clue."

"Brilliant! I'll head over immediately!"

"Not so fast Mr Harbinger, I'm also aware of your horrendous reputation of leaving nothing but ruin wherever you decide to go to. You're nothing but an omen of calamity. But that being said..."

The boy with slanted bangs shut his eyes momentarily, deciding if his decision were truly rational or if his emotions were clouding his hasty judgement. After a short period of deep thought, he made a decision.

"I will escort you to her. However, 10,000 Mora won't suffice for such a journey."

One of their stomach's growled loudly. Childe never went around on an empty stomach, so he knew who was the culprit behind that nasty rumbling.

"Hahaha, I see. You're itching for some food. Well, it can't be helped. Guess we'll go fetch some dinner!"

Couple of minutes later, the two were indulging in a meal of Almond Tofu at Wangshu Inn. The presence of Childe was particularly unnerving to those in the area, but seeing the contented look on his face relieved some of them.

"Mmmh. Mmmh. Amazing..."

It was clear to Childe that the Guhua boy was starving before. Watching the boy eat gleefully reminded him of his exuberant little sisters.

"Well Childe, would I be wrong to say that you have younger siblings?"

Childe looked up and widened his eyes again.

"How'd you come to that conclusion?"

"Strangers often mistake me for a young little boy, it never fails to get on my nerves when that happens. They assume I'm an arrogant brat and perceive me as a nuisance. But the way you're awfully accommodating and enjoying yourself seems like the way my older brother treats me. Haha, you're not so terrible after all!"

His jolly tone brightened the mood even more.

"Well, my younger sisters are more precious than any gem in the world."

"Pardon me asking but, do you find anyone more valuable than them?"

A man popped up into the imagination of Childe's head; the only gem that is, or is more valuable than his sisters at the moment.

"Beats me."

Childe leaned back and let out a mirthful chuckle, scratching the back of his head.

After a delicious dinner, the two set off and made their way to Liyue Harbour. Upon arrival, Xingqiu beckoned to the glorious-looking structure that floated in the skies.