chapter 12 : let me go

Start from the beginning

Unfortunately for Anthony, that resulted in abandoning almost all of his belongings.

He turned to face the girl, who was shaking the rain off her umbrella and wiping her boots on the carpet.

These last few days, Anthony had done nothing but dread this meeting but he understood it was necessary.

She was going to help resolve all of his problems.

So, Anthony did in fact, feel an inch of gratitude toward her.

Just an inch.

Because at the end of the day, he still loathed her.

The way she spoke, the way she acted, the way she completely insulted him.

No one had ever dared to talk to him like she did.

It made him furious, but deep down, though he would never admit it, he was slightly curious.

Everything about her that frustrated him, also made her that much more interesting than any girl of the ton.

What was it about her?

He knew she wasn't Rosalie Warner, so who was she really?

So why was she pretending to be someone she's not?

~~~~~~~

She stood in front of the door, an umbrella in one hand, and a piece of paper in the other.

On the night of the Trowley ball, after he revealed he knew she wasn't Rosalie, he handed her an address and told her to meet him there tonight.

She deliberated whether she was going to follow up with his ruse or not.

After Amelia went home that night, she told Rosalie everything that transpired at the ball.

She was unsettled at first, knowing that sideburns had figured out their ruse, but for the rest of the night, she mainly just teased Amelia after she quickly mentioned that he demanded her to dance with him.

She told her there was no possible way that she was going to go along with his scheme, that there was no way she was going to pretend to be courted by him.

Unfortunately, Rosalie practically forced her otherwise, saying that the two of them would be in severe trouble if sideburns divulged the truth to anyone else.

So Amelia found herself on the other side of town, late at night, standing on the doorstep of the person she'd come to loathe most.

With complete reluctance, she knocked on his door.

There was officially no turning back now.

When he opened the door, he didn't look especially excited.

In fact, he looked the very opposite.

His face bore a picture of somberness and he looked particularly glum.

Seeing his solemn face made her extremely nervous.

She wanted to run away at that very moment and never come back. 

But he was blackmailing her, so she really didn't have a choice.

"Is everything okay?"

"Yeah, just come in."

To her grand surprise, the house was actually quite nice, charming even.

From his demeanor, she fully expected to walk into something akin to a haunted house, or a poorly-lit funeral home.