The empty grave of the demon prince

It wasn't like Meliodas wasn't aware that he could not win this. 

He had, in his, from a demonic standpoint, ridiculously short life, done his best. 

Because how could this have ended otherwise than his and Elizabeth's execution? He knew that's what it was, this was the battle he would finally lose. And it was better this way. 

He had left his clan at the hands of his father, unable to defend itself from the very clan he now fought for and killed two of his comrades who trusted him with their lifes.

He deserved this.

It felt like someone kicked him in the stomach.

He didn't want to die.

But he didn't regret any of this, either. Meliodas knew Elizabeth and him would never be able to have the happy ever after they had strived for. He would never see Elizabeth growing old, he would never get to see his own children, he would never get to see his brothers children and what they'd get up to-

He would never go back.

He would never be able to bicker with Mael or Sariel again, who he had honestly grown to like over the past few weeks. Or Zeldris and Estarossa. Oh gods, they hated him didn't they? They probably did, after he burdened them with the weight of their peoples, their fathers expectations. Meliodas knew he had been a failure of a brother, and the day he finally managed to act like one, was the day he left them alone. Of course, he had taken that into account when he had left the demon realm, but it still hurt pretty hard. But Meliodas deserved this. Because no matter how much he hurt, his brother must be hurting a hundred times worse, and his would end in a few seconds. 

(And deep, deep down, a small, quiet part of him, wished that he could go back in time and fix this. Fix everything. If he could have lived up to their expectations and killed the Supreme deities daughter, maybe then he could go back to them and apologize and they'd love him again-

No use for wishing now.)

But the wish was still there.

And it broke his heart just a little bit further.

But undoubtedly, he would choose Elizabeth over and over again, because she was the one who lighted up his days. She was the best thing that ever happened to him, and to Meliodas, that meant it would be worth it. 

Dying was better than to run for eternity.

The two gods who stood before him raised their hands high into the air. 

Meliodas looked towards Elizabeth. Beautiful, wonderful Elizabeth who had loved him so unconditionally that his frozen heart had melted. And she looked into his eyes, gave him that small, reassuring smile and nodded. He knew what it meant.

Everything is going to be alright. And if it happens, I love you.

Meliodas knew that was the last smile he'd ever get from her.

And they charged.

They didn't even get over one hundred meters before they were knocked backwards.

What Meliodas didn't expect was to wake up.

Why was he alive?

He opened his eyes, and there was...sunlight. It was blinding him and he had to shield himself with his arm. He felt sore, as if he had been asleep. But as he blinked, he noticed something strange.

There were no cuts on his arms.

And everything came crashing down on him. 

And in less than a second he stood upright. 

"Elizabeth?" he screamed.

"ELIZABETH?!"

No answer.

And then he saw it.

There she was, sprawled out on the ground. The goddess was lying on her stomach, her face buried in her arms and her wings standing up in weird angles. Meliodas ran towards her and shook her gently.

"Elizabeth, love, wake up, we're alive"

No answer.

"Elizabeth?"

And then, he felt something inside of him break into pieces. Meliodas picked her up 

and screamed.

He didn't even try to stop the sound from emerging his throat. It was a blinding scream of rage, fury and sadness at the fate and at the gods which said he was worth so little. That everything he felt, everything he, Elizabeth and everyone else suffered for was nothing. Because he was more than this. His lover was more than this. They were more than this. 

This was to feel helpless in the worst possible way.