Whatever everyone thought didn’t concern her.

“You shouldn’t have done it Zainab.”

She heard Mallam speak without taking his eyes off his book. His voice was calm and soft, but the atmosphere was fraught with tension.

Their mother hadn’t talked to her or even spared a glance towards their direction as she pretended to carry on with her house chores.

Funny enough, Zainab knew whatever decisions Malam had taken concerning them was mutually agreed between the two.

Like, they always made up their minds together and never disagreed on any issue. That day wouldn’t be different.

“I am sorry Malam, but I had to do it so as….” She tried to explain herself, even though she knew it was a futile attempt.

He interrupted her, his expressions were unreadable, but his body language suggested he was trying to contain his emotions, “There are many ways to settle a squabble without litigation processes.”

Squabble? Was that what her father thought of what had happened to her? She was almost maimed and all he thought of was a squabble?

“With all due respect Malam, how does being beaten half to death and locked up in a room be compared to just a minor argument?”

She felt the heat rising to her face as she tried hard to control her anger. She never expected any support from Malam regarding her predicament. But she sure never expected him to think she was making a mountain out of a molehill.

Malam regarded her, “You have always been too emotional, Zainab. And you never really control your mouth.”

To that, she maintained silence and docked her head low. She wanted to argue, to explain things and clear the air. But she didn’t.

Keeping silence while angry was one sign of maturity. She wanted so much to contain her emotions, trying as hard not to say something that would upset Malam any longer.

Malam Tijjani set his book aside and sighed, “You are my daughter, Zainab. And no matter what you think, I have your best interest at heart. And believe me, what Aliyu did will not be overlooked. I am however, concerned about your well being.”

Zainab looked at her father and tried hard not to feel any animosity.  All her life, she’d thought he was a weak man, whether with regard to his mother or sister, she’d thought he had failed them as a father and their mother, as a husband.

The man couldn’t stand up to his sister and the atrocities she’d dished out in the past for crying out loud!

He was the same man that had married her off in the middle of the night and had left her without looking back. Could she ever trust him with any of her life’s decisions?

They were her decisions. So whether they turned out right or very wrong, she’d have to live with it. Rather than have it dictated for her and she lived like a slave.

Malam brought out something from his pocket and placed it on the mat and pushed it towards her. She’d recognize the thousand naira bill anywhere, and said, “Here, take this twenty thousand naira. It is meant as part settlement for the damags and wounds  Aliyu had inflicted on you.”

She was confused, “What?”

Malam had started to pack the books, signifying he was about to leave for the mosque. “I went to the Alkali (Judge) presiding over your case and asked to settle this out of court. He had agreed to my request. He had asked Aliyu’s family to pay up front this token as compensation. He’d requested that we go to the court tomorrow and settle this once and for all.”