After The Arena

{Katniss}

Peeta sits down next to me in a big armchair that is fading. I think to myself, we need new furniture. But that should be the least of my worries.

A week ago today was my wedding. It was lovely, finally marrying Peeta. But I'm still not fully healed from the scars the games left on me.

I told Peeta about my troubles; with the scars the Games left. He told me that they aren't ever going to fade all the way. Scars are like stars, he said. See, even the words are similar. He told me that even though I will get better, and the memory will fade, they're always going to be there, even when they aren't visible.

I don't think you can ever really heal from watching so many people die. Even the ones you hated, even your enemies. They were innocent, really.

Just as innocent as you.

The worst part of it all is knowing that easily could've been me. I could've been eaten by hungry mutts with the eyes of the fallen, I could've been stung thousands of times by evil hornets that gave me hallucinations. So many horrible deaths happened and I could've stopped them. I could've been there telling that poor innocent victim they were okay.

What I'm regretting right now is not treating every single tribute like I treated Rue.

{Peeta}

It hurts watching Katniss cry, but she isn't the only one scarred.

I remember exactly how it felt in that moment when the berries were in my hand. I looked into her sparkling eyes, taking it all in.