four • meant for something more

Comincia dall'inizio

"It's dinner time!" Henry chanted, making Sevyn's heart speed up.

"No!" She shrieked, jumping over the loveseat to beat her father to the table. "I win!" She screamed, jumping up and down before sticking her tongue out at the man who raised her.

He bent over, trying to regain his breath. "I really thought I had this one."

"You would have if you didn't shout like a mad man before racing down the stairs." She confirmed, laughing at the mans condition. He grunted, collapsing on his chair. "What is for dinner?"

They all sat in peace, munching down the pork and berries. Although, Sevyn never really ate any meats. It felt wrong to her, so she just replaced the portion with corn.

"So," Henry began, pulling apart the food on the his plate, "did anyone peak your interest last night?" She groaned, throwing her head back, "what?"

"Sweetheart, he is just trying to annoy you." Lucy laughed, grabbing her daughters hand. "Do not pay him any mind."

"Because I know where he means to from," she began, leaning back on the chair, "their is absolutely nothing between the Duke and I." She clarified, looking to both parent for a short moment of time, "you know how our friendship is." She sighed. "Besides, as I said many a times before, I do not see myself marrying for a long while."

Henry knew he was in no place to judge his daughter, knowing she could also shoot back with many thoughts of her own on the whole basis of marriage and how it was created to the basis that women offer nothing but the ability to breed.

She valued her freedom as a single woman far too much to ever let any man ravish it.

She realized in society she was doomed to a life of discouragement and loneliness if she never settled down, but she simply wished to extend that time to find a man she actually loved. Not a man who was only after the money her father held out for her.

•••

The sounds of children running kept Sevyn on her guard the entire walk. "So, Daphne may be in love."Eloise sighed. "Does she think it an accomplishment?" If there was anyone in this town who would never bat an eye at Sevyn for refusing to sit down and be wed, it would be the young Eloise Bridgerton. "What exactly has she accomplished, then?" The girl scoffed. "She certainly did not build that man or bake him. He simply showed up." She said, referring to her sisters new entanglement with Simon. "Now he straggles about. He likes her face probably."

Sevyn couldn't help but laugh, "perhaps her hair?" She chimed in.

"Having a nice face and pleasant hair is not an accomplishment." Eloise ranted to the youngest Featherington and the only Granville. "Do you know what is an accomplishment?" She laughed, "attending university!" Of course, Sevyn agreed. She always felt a twinge of jealous whenever she had heard Anthony discussing his education at Oxford, wishing she could have more attention brought onto important matters- such as history. "If I were a man, I could do that, you know."

"Oh, of course." The girl agreed, looping her arm through Penelope's.

"Instead, I shall have to stand by and watch dear mama appear proud because some man should like to admire my sisters face and hair and fill her up with babies!"

"Eloise!" Sevyn scolded.

"Oh, Penelope. You're not listening to a word I say." Eloise whimpered as Penelope drew us closer.

"I know of someone... with child."

"Is it your momma? Is she not advanced in age?" Eloise asked innocently.

"I suppose your father should still want a boy." Sevyn pondered aloud.

"It is not my mama." Penelope quickly shot down her friends allegations. "It is a maid."

"Which one of your maids is married?" Eloise scoffed. Not many were as fortunate as Sevyn to understand the dedication it took to producing a child. She remembered how horrific it was to be kept in the dark.

"She is not married." Penelope confirmed.

"How did she become with child if she is not married?" It was easy to notice that Eloise had become queasy.

"I do not know, but I will find out."

"You must!" Eloise exclaimed. "Otherwise how can we assure it never happens to us? We have accomplishments to acquire."