Chapter 1

September 3rd, 1971, Hogwarts castle

On the morning of September third, Maelynn woke up in the first-year dormitories. She noticed that only a few girls were still in here. Lily Evans, Nashira, and a first-year named Marlene were still in the dorm. Maelynn climbed out of her bed and made contact with the stone floor. The floor was cold and it sent chills up her body. But she grabbed her clothes and walked into the bathroom.

Maelynn looked in the mirror and saw the major bed head she had. Hair sticking out in all directions. She quietly laughed and brushed out her chestnut hair. Once the monstrosity on her head was dealt with she pulled too pieces to the back and secured them with a red bow. Then she proceded to put on her uniform.

"Maelynn! Hurry up! I want breakfast!" Nashira yelled entering the bathroom. Maelynn rolled her eyes.

"Patience Nashira, I'm nearly ready. I just have to grab my things," Maelynn said, taking her pyjamas and walking out of the bathroom.

Maelynn placed her clothes in her trunk and grabbed her bag. Which held her wand, books, and some other important things. She slipped the bag on her shoulder and walked out of the dorm. Nashira quickly followed. Even if she didn't want to admit it, Nashira was nervous. This was a different place than where she grew up. She grew up in a muggle town, where magic was only in fairy tales or legends. It was as if overnight she went from being a normal muggle girl, with no magical knowledge or interest to being a witch, going to school and learning about the concealment of magic and magic as a whole.

The two girls arrived at the great hall and walked to the Gryffindor table. Maelynn saw Remus and quickly walked over to him.

"Remus! Good morning, how was your evening?" Maelynn asked sitting next to the boy. Remus looked up from his breakfast and greeted Maelynn.

"It was good, I tried to sleep but some two wouldn't keep it down," Remus said looking toward James and Sirius at the end of his sentence. Maelynn laughed, people won't admit it but Maelynn was already pretty popular amongst first years. Even the teachers liked her and they hadn't been in class with her yet. Maelynn of course denied the attention. All she really wanted was to get through her school years, get a job, and settle down with a husband.

But being the granddaughter of a famous wizard she was going to be compared. Maelynn knew this from a young age. But they didn't account for one thing. Maelynn was prepared to break that. She wasn't going to be known as 'Maelynn Scamander, granddaughter to Newton Scamander' she was going to make a name for herself.

After breakfast, Maelynn, Nashira, Remus, James and Sirius walked to potions. Maelynn had some experience in potion making. As often had to make healing remedies for her grandfather. Too often sometimes. But she found joy in helping others. Even if they couldn't help her in return.

When they arrived in the dungeons, it was dark and gloomy. But Maelynn didn't mind. It reminded her of being with the moon calfs. For a strange reason it reminded her of home. Then again. Hogwarts was like a second home for her. Way before she started attending school. After all, her grandfather made lots of trips here.

The group entered the dark potions classroom. The walls were lined with ingredients, books, and many other things. At the front of the classroom, Maelynn saw her professor. She sat down at a workstation with Lily. Who had become a close friend of Maelynn, throughout the last few days. (E/N wow replacing me already. smh)

"Welcome to your very first potions class. I am Professor Slughorn. Today we'll be taking notes on proper classroom etiquette," The professor said writing on the board. Maelynn pulled out her notebook, quill, and ink.

"No, please be in here," Lily whispered. Maelynn looked over to her friend.

"Lily? Did you forget something?" Maelynn asked quietly. Lily looked over and nodded.

"Yes, I forgot my ink," Lily whispered back. Maelynn nodded and moved her ink to the middle of the desk.

"We can share mine. My grandma sends some every few weeks so I have extra," Maelynn whispered. Lily smiled and thanked Maelynn. Both girls started writing down the notes.

***********************************************************************

After potions, Lily went off to Charms and Maelynn went to herbology. In that class Maelynn met some hufflepuffs. And her teacher was very kind and patient. The class went by fast for Maelynn.

The whole day went by and now Maelynn was sitting in the common room doing her defence against the dark arts homework. Well, trying to. She couldn't focus because of Sirius being frustrated. So Maelynn got up and walked over to him.

"Sirius, is something wrong?" Maelynn asked standing next to him. Sirius looked up from his paper and saw Maelynn.

"This stupid spell, I couldn't do it in charms," He said putting his head in his hands. Upon further inspection, Maelynn noticed he was in the wrong book. So Maelynn grabbed her things and sat next to Sirius.

"Well for starters, you're in the DADA book. Not the charms book," Maelynn said, pulling out her charms book. Sirius' face turned bright red in embarrassment. Maelynn let out a small giggle.

"Don't worry, it's a simple mistake," Maelynn said showing Sirius the proper spell and the correct way to do it.

Then Maelynn and Sirius started talking and hanging out. Maelynn would help Sirius with charms, potions, and DADA. Sirius would help Maelynn in letting loose and not being so uptight. Something Maelynn nearly slapped him for. She was anything but uptight. Maelynn lived with magical creatures for merlin's sake. But they become close friends. Maelynn smiled as she fell asleep that night. This year will be a dream.

Word Count: 978