5. she wouldn't be happy if she saw us like this.

Start from the beginning

Miss Dowling had noticed the girl's anticipation, eyes trained on the, now still, earth fairy. "Terra, let's start with you." Her green orbs looking at her friend and then at Miss Dowling, who beckoned her over to centre. Terra did as she was told. "Project your magic over The Vessel, it will harness your natural element." 

The girl was in a world of concentration she directed her powers down, into the bowl filled with crystals. Her back was turned to her four suitemates as she created the vinery. The verdant organic matter grew up. "Earth." Dowling spoke as the foliage kept ascending, to the scale that those behind her could view the spectacle. "Soil, sand, rock and all manner of plant life. You may stop now, thank you." As her magic resided back inside of her, the vines evaporated. The short-statured girl returned to her place next to Averie; her giddy expression causing the air fairy to smile immediately.

"Aisha, would you come up, please?" Miss Dowling stood at the side of the bowl, the approaching water fairy settled as she was in front of The Vessel. "Now do as Terra did, conjure your magic over The Vessel." The braided-haired girl nodded, inhaling deeply; eyes closing before appearing a piercing shade of cobalt.

The headmistress wandered around the opposite side of the stone structure. "Water." Her eyes gazing at the moulded shape of water. The way it did Aisha's bidding as she held the deconstructed, yet captivating display of spherical hydrogen oxide. "The lakes and oceans of the world, or the molecules that exist in all organisms around us." 

Averie could describe the magic as own thing 'mesmerising'. The way the water flowed, despite Aisha's hold on it's movement. "Thank you, Aisha." The introverted girl next to Bloom avoided all eye-contact with the teacher. Looking off into the distance, trying to prevent being chosen by Miss Dowling. Aisha sat back down and Musa smiled at the girl. "Musa, may you demonstrate your magic?" It was as if the dark-haired girl died inside at that point. 

She stood, padding over to The Vessel- making sure her skirt didn't rise up. Averie watched how her shoulders were tensed even under the red jacket adorned- the body language was still apparent. "Channel the magic away from your soul and project it out into your hands." The nurturing advice calmed Musa's nerves- she shook her head in concentration; shaking the nerves away. 

The magic was delicate. A shade of rose- transparently there. It was as if there was an unknown force levitating in the air. Being channelled through Musa by her magic. Mysterious and unexplained- but that was the beauty in it. "Mind." Miss Dowling said with some nostalgia, it was her natural born element- thus, she had the experience with the lack of control present within its power. "Thoughts, memories, dreams." Everybody could hear the way that the magic twinkled, as if it were shimmering.

Musa returned to her seat in between Aisha and Bloom. Averie looked intently at the bowl, wondering how something so simple and regular could make such rarities, such as magical amplification, occur. "Why don't you find out?" The woman stood at the bowl stated, hearing the girl's thoughts and summarisation. In reality, Miss Dowling wanted to know what power this girl possessed. The magic that allowed her to defend herself from a Burned One long enough for the correct help to arrive. What made Averie Alexander special?

The girl, who ensured, like Musa, to not flash her classmates- stood up, fidgeted the skirt down even though it had no need to be. She faked the confidence that her walk assumed was there as she came face to face with The Vessel. "You're magic is powerful because your emotions are powerful. Now restrain those emotions." The teacher spoke, Averie's eyes meeting hers as her hands glided over the metal bowel. 

Her hands opposed each other- fingertips connected with the set on the other side. The irises of her eyes resorted to the light violet pigment as the ball of electricity crackled and it began to illuminate her face due to the light it produced in the process. It was different and distinct, a type of electricity that Farah Dowling hadn't seen in her years of teaching. It was as if the wind element and electrical element of her aerial magic had combined into one source of hybrid magic. "Air." The teacher spoke, surveyed the display as the girl's hands grew apart, level with each of her shoulders. Her eyes trained on the way gusts of wind directed the sparks of electric. "Speed, temperature, sound. Its power and electrical properties." Averie's power began to build, the electricity diverting from hand to hand swifter as the aerial vortex carried them in its unprecedented gusts.