Tears of the Jolly Beetle (5)

Start from the beginning

The two kids walked over there and posed for his picture.

The man chuckled, looking at it, "You two are so cute together,"

"Ew!" They both said in unison, "Hey!"

Maebel's gut wrenched tightly, she felt as if she wanted to cry, but she had no clue why. She tried to shrug it off, but the feeling never left. She sat on the stairs, maybe she was sick? No, she physically couldn't be.

"Hey, guys, our car's ready," Kid Danger informed his coworkers. 

Henry stood not far from the stage. Maebel nodded and stood, careful not to move too fast. 

"Then let's ride," said Ray.

"Wait," Jasper jumped up and down, "Captain Man! Captain Man!"

"Yes," Ray acknowledged, "you in the loose pants."

"Will you sign my Captain Man action figure?" Jasper held up the Captain Man doll in his hands.

"Sure, just bring it up here and I'd be glad to-"

Jasper chucked the figure at him, hitting his lip. The room erupted into gasps.

"It hit him in the mouth," the vice mayor pointed out.

"Sorry, Captain Man," Jasper apologized.

"No worries," Ray picked it up, "I'm okay."

The crowd cheered.

Henry's eyes widened and pulled Ray to the side, "Captain Man,"

"What?"

Henry wiped his thumb over Ray's lip, "Blood."

Maebel's eyes widened as she watched Henry's hand retract.

"Why do you have a bloody thumb?" Ray furrowed his eyebrows.

"I don't," Henry gestured to Ray's lip, "You have a bloody lip from that toy hitting you in the face,"

Ray reached up to his lip, "But that's impossible," genuine confusion dripped from his tongue, "I can't be injured, I'm Captain Man,"

Maebel furrowed her eyebrows, she didn't understand. If Ray could get injured, then, could she?

"Henry, Maebel," Ray trailed.

"Yeah?" Henry asked.

"I'm not okay," Ray gripped onto his sidekick's shoulders.

Maebel and Henry shushed him and looked around to see if anybody heard what he said. Knowing that something horrible was happening, the pit in Maebel's stomach grew.

Gooch, Ray, Charlotte, and Henry all sat down in the Man Cave, each doing their own. Gooch was testing Ray's indestructibility, Ray, of course, being the dummy, Charlotte was going through the footage at the award ceremony, and Henry was snacking on frozen yogurt the three heroes had gotten a coupon for.