Chapter 10: Cupcakes + Chess

Start from the beginning

-------------

The locker door swung open and Nick was hit with the familiar scent of slightly rusty water and sweat mixed with cheap cologne. There were a few cheers upon his arrival as he swaggered his way to his locker. Chandler was leaned against the lockers talking with an underclassmen who was probably on the JV team.

"Aye Hallow, what's up man," Nick walked up to the taller boy and gave him a little handshake before he cracked open his locker, his friend following him back.

"Not much man, was at the skate park with the boys last night like the good ole days, how about yourself?" Chandler tapped his cleats on the ground.

"I got lectured by George for two hours last night about staying awake during class and paying attention even if it is boring while he helped me with all of my homework," Sapnap groaned as he took off his shirt and got changed.

He untied his bandana and shook out his wavy hair running his finger through it before re-tying the fabric. He laughed with a couple of his team mates as they made their way outside to go warm up and practice.

------------

Nick was slumped over in the parking lot leaning against the school wall as his phone rang.

"Hey what's up?" Dreams voice was quiet through the phone like he wasn't near the device.

"Stop screwing your boyfriend and come pick me up from practice!" Sapnap whined as he rolled his shoulders.

"We are not screwing Nick!" Georges voice said through the speaker phone.

"Oh right sorry, you were probably just getting drilled I forgot you only receive," Nick rolled his eyes.

Dream laughed and ended the call before George could continue arguing. Nick swayed his feet back and forth as he waited for his friends to arrive. Finally a black Jeep pulled into the parking lot and Nick stood up and walked to the passengers side.

"Shorties in the back," He deadpanned at George pointing his thumb out of the car.

"I'm literally one inch shorter than you and it's my boyfriends car," George pouted.

"An inch is an inch and I'm tired from practice," Nick knitted his eyebrows.

"I'll get in the back if you play a game of chess against me," George smirked.

"Sure, whatever, now back seat Georgie," Nick swapped places with the Brit.

Nick sank back into his chair as Clay just wheezed at the argument he had watched. Nick blindly grabbed for the aux cord before he found it. He plugged it into his phone and scrolled through his spotify before putting on 'I WANNA SEE SOME ASS' by Jack Harlow. He hummed quietly to the song as Clay rolled his eyes and George swayed slightly to the song. He let spotify just play the song radio after that song finished, getting some bangers like 'oops' by Young Gravy and 'BEAMIN'' by Quadeca.

The Jeep pulled into Dreams drive way as the 3 boys lazily rolled out of the car. Dream fiddled with the keys until the door swung open. His house was unnecessarily large, even for a family of seven. Nick started to make his way upstairs.

"Nick you don't want to go up there," Dream said as he walked into the kitchen.

Without missing a beat he turned around and walked down to the living room. "I swear to god, you two are like rabbits. Please take a vacation, go touch some grass, go outside," Nick groaned as he flopped on the couch.

George giggled as he dug through the cabinets under the T.V. until he found the glass chess set Dream had.

There was comfortable silence between the three boys, Dream was stood in the kitchen preparing apples and peanut butter, as Nick dug his head further into the couch pillows. The soft clinking from the chess set was the only noise.

"Alright what is your wager, Nick," George said very properly as he sat on his knees, wincing slightly looking at the frosted glass pieces.

"You never said anything about bets," Nick groaned as he rolled on to the ground.

"Oh come on, it's no fun if we don't bet! I even gave you the advantage of having the white pieces," George cocked his eyebrow at the slightly taller boy.

"Fine if you win I'll actually ask Karl out on a date," Nick said, half joking.

"Wait really? Ok uhhhh, if I win I'll do what you said and go touch some grass," George chuckled as he extended his arm, hand reached out for a shake on the bet.

Nick stared at the pieces, the obvious choice is to move his pawn to d4. He picked up the small glass piece. George smiled and moved his pawn to d5. Nick bit his lip, he moved his next pawn to e4. George allowed his hand to float over the board, eyes flickered with intensity before he grabbed his bishop, moving it from f8 to b4, already placing Nick in check. Sapnap scowled and moved his king forward once. George kept a calm smile on his face as he moved his knight from b8 to c6. Nick moved his a2 pawn to a3 threatening Georges bishop. George turned a blind eye to the threat, moving pawn g7 to g5. Nick smiled and gladly took the bishop. George moved his a7 pawn to a6.

"Karl's in your head right now isn't he?" George said as Nick captured a pawn with his bishop on c7.

"No he's not, now shoosh and play the game," Nick went back to biting his lip, praying George wouldn't notice.

"He most definitely is Nick," George took his queen from d8 and knocked over Nicks bishop, "You're blundering, and it's not on purpose."

Nick scoffed as he recklessly moved a knight.

"You could've threatened my knight there Pandas," George smiled sweetly as he advanced his other knight, preparing to castle.

"What do you want George?" Nick said slightly annoyed.

"I want you to be honest with yourself Nick," George finally frowned setting the board aside, "Why do you think he doesn't like you back?"

"I don't seem like his type," Nick said quietly.

George blinked a few times before rolling in the floor, howling with laughter. Dream walked in starring at his boyfriend like he had gone off the deep end. Clay handed Nick a bowl of apples before sitting on the floor next to George. They ended up turning on the playstation and took turns playing whatever games Clay had.

Clays mom eventually came home from work and greeted her two guests, before offering them a cupcake each that she had picked up on her way home from work. The confectionery treat filled Nicks mind with bright colors and a familiar warm smile that tugged on his heart.

-----------

A/N: AAAAAAAAA SORRY IF THIS SEEMS RUSHED I WANTED TO GET YOU ALL SOMETHING OUT TODAY BUT I WAS GONE AT SCHOOL AND MY BIRTHDAY DINNER IS IN LIKE AN HOUR

i hope you guys enjoyed :) im a bit of a chess nerd so i apologize if that bit was a little hard to follow but yay dream team but mainly george and sapnap because i love them :))