"Look," Alex said. "I'm going to climb up there for just a few minutes, and then as soon as I climb back down, we'll read the journal and find out what all the Wishing Spell items are, okay?" 

"Alex..." Conner began. His face was turning pink. 

"Please, Conner," Alex said. "I need to do this, or I'll regret it forever!" 

Conner shook his head with the frustration that only a sibling could cause. He wanted to lecture her about how childish she was acting. But the way she was looking at him, with her big, wanting eyes, prevented him. It was so rare that Alex ever needed something, he supposed one last stop couldn't hurt. 

"Don't kill yourself," Conner said. "But while you're up there, I'm going to start reading the journal and make a list of the Wishing Spell items we need to find."

 Alex happily nodded and put her bag on the ground. She stretched for the climb she was about to make. 

Conner sat on the ground and began flipping through the pages of the journal.

 Climbing the tower was easier said than done. After searching around the base of the tower for a place to put her first step, Alex could tell why a long train of golden hair might be needed to get to the top of it. Eventually, she found a stone block with a chip large enough to put her foot in and take her first step. 

"Here I go," Alex said. "Gosh, I wish I had a camera!" 

"Trust me," Conner said. "The real Alex I know isn't going to want proof of this." 

It was like climbing the world's most difficult rock-climbing wall. She relied on cracks and chips and uneven bricks sticking out just enough to put her hands and feet on. She moved slowly but carefully. If she were any larger, it wouldn't have worked.

 "You're still at the bottom?" Conner said, looking up from the journal after a few minutes. 

"Shut up, Conner!" Alex yelled back at him. 

"I'm just saying, at the rate you're going Mom's gonna be eighty by the time we get home whether there's a time difference or not," he said. 

I couldn't help but glare at my brother.

After some time had gone by and she had gotten the hang of it, Alex moved more quickly, carefully pulling herself up using the ivy. The higher she climbed, the less she looked down at the ground, fearing it would tamper with her effort to reach the top. 

She was so determined to see the top of the tower, to be in the room where Rapunzel had lived and to see what Rapunzel had seen through her window every day. She wanted to be where somebody else had been during the loneliest times of their life.

 Rapunzel's story had always been easy for Alex to identify with. Alex felt she was in a tower of her own, looking at the world from an un reachable location. 

She was almost halfway up the tower by now, and she was above all the trees in the forest. Any tiny misstep would no longer result in potential injury, it would mean death. 

"There's a reason the witch put Rapunzel up there, you know!" Conner called up to her. "So no one could reach her!" 

"I'm not listening to you!" Alex said, and then, stupidly, looked down. 

Beads of sweat appeared on Alex's forehead. She felt like her heart had fallen out of her body. What was she doing? There was no way she could climb back down. Was she really risking her life just to see the inside of a tower? If she ever reached the top, would she be able get back down? Would she have to wait until her hair grew long enough to climb before she saw anyone again?