Chapter Three - I Shall Come Back

Start bij het begin

“I was just wondering, where did you get geneih from? When you paid the bartender I had to wonder,” Coulson admits, pursing his lips.

I nod my head slowly, not sure what he’s talking about for a second. “Oh, money! Geneih? Is that what it’s called?”

“Yeah, it is,” Coulson chuckles. I nod again as he takes me by arm and out of the SUV. 

“Yeah, you don’t really want to know how I got that money, my friend,” I say simply. He doesn’t push it, as he seems to have other things on his mind. He leads me around the car to a large plane that looks to be more of some sort of carrier plane than a standard commercial jet. We walk to the plane, though it involves more of him trying to ensure that I don’t end up flat on my face as the ground whirls around us. We make it inside and the ramp lifts back up, closing up the tail of the plane as Coulson escorts me up the stairs. 

I pause at the top of the stairs and turn to look at Coulson. “Where’s Steve?”

“Steve?” Coulson asks, confused.

“Steve Rogers? Captain America?” I clarify. Coulson still looks confused. “You mean he wasn’t the one who told you guys where I was? I saw him before you came and got me.”

“Rogers is currently on a mission with Agent Romanoff. He must have been looking for something where you were. But he didn’t tip us off to your location. We were already in Alexandria,” Coulson sort of clarifies.

“Oh,” I nod, sort of disappointed. I wanted to explain things to Steve. And it would be nice to see him again. I just don’t want him to think… “It’s all in the timing, I guess.”

When we make it into the main area I am startled and confused to see Frey handcuffed to a conference table. 

“Frey!” I screech and he looks up, startled. I break away from Coulson and nearly topple over both Frey and the chair he is sitting in. His beard has grown significantly and his hair is a mess but I sit on his lap and cradle his head close to my chest. 

“Spýtaeld,” he murmurs against my shoulder. I tilt his chin up and kiss him firmly on the lips and then embrace him tightly. 

“Well, this is some kind of reunion.” I hear a familiar voice and my heart leaps up into my throat. I turn and sure enough, Tony Stark is standing beside the conference table with a bemused expression on his face. “If that’s how you treat some random guy we picked up in Cameroon I cringe to think how you will greet Reindeer Games.”

“IS HE HERE?” I demand, rising from my embrace with Frey. 

Tony’s face falls. “Uh, no, sorry. We don’t know where he or the God of Thunder are at right now. We happened to find the two of you because…well, you weren’t exactly being conspicuous.”

My heart falls. “Heeeey,” I argue, thinking that up until the past few days I had done marvelously well at keeping myself off the radar.

“To be fair to you, though, you have an internal tracking device courtesy of SHIELD. The Almighty Beard over here sort of drew attention when he crash-landed in Cameroon and began raving about some extremely specific deities. It piqued SHIELD’s interest. So who exactly is he?” Tony asks.

“You mean you haven’t asked him?”

Agent May answers for him. “He refused to speak to anyone but mentioned your name, so we figured we could sort things out if we came and retrieved you.”

“Wait, you mean to tell me that if he hadn’t showed up in the middle of Africa, raving about Asgard, you would have never come to get me?” I accuse, stepping towards Coulson and May. “You were just going to leave me wandering the desert?”