The Eye of the Storm

A Few Weeks Later

After the last class of the day, the students have returned to their dorms to avoid being caught by The Ultimate Moral Compass.

Well, some of the students did.

Miu, Kokichi, and some of the 1st year students went out to a party and they somehow managed to hide from Taka. Other students like Kaito, Maki, and Himiko are studying in Maki's dorm (which she surprisingly volunteered to do) to review their notes for the upcoming exam. And boy was it hard!! Hopes Peak wasn't kidding about their "high education" system, even the Headmaster was stunned by the sudden changes.

"Nyeeh!! Why is math so hard? If only I could do my magic to get good grades, then all of this studying wouldn't be necessary!"

Maki's room was piled with books and notes around the floor. Jeez, the dorm looked like a storm flew by!! They really are serious about this. Of course, they will clean up their mess as soon as they're done. Eventually.

"That wouldn't be possible," Maki claimed as she closed her English book shut. "And even if it were, wouldn't it be unfair for the other students who are working their asses off to get high grades?" Himiko was clearly too terrified to look at Maki in the eyes since she was clearly shooting her death glare at her.

"Woah, chill Makiroll! She was just kidding, don't take it too seriously!" Kaito tried to calm Maki down, and he was successful. Maki calmed down and took her social studies notes and began reading.

"Besides, you're not the only one struggling with the new academics." Maki sighed a sigh of defeat as she continued "Social Studies and World Culture has become twice as hard as the last exam. And don't get me started with Quadratics and Algebra." Maki was one of those people who were not smart but not dumb, she was able to pass her grades without struggle or procrastinating. Until now.

"Aww come on guys, don't give up now. WE GOT THIS!!" As per usual, Kaito tried to cheer up his friends with his usual speech.

"Remember!! The IMPOSSIBLE is POSSIBLE, all you gotta do--"

"Is make it so." Maki continued and flashed a small smile while reading, which made Kaito chuckle a bit.

The 3 students continue to study and review, they made quizzes of their own and let the other one guess the answer, Kaito was the one having a hard time. They had short breaks and talked about non-school related stuff until Himiko had to go back to her dorm.

It was just the 2 of them now.

'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'

"I should probably go back, Maki I'm gonna go ahead-" Kaito then noticed that his shoulder suddenly felt heavy, he turned around to see a peaceful and sleepy Makiroll silently snoring. Kaito grinned at the sight as he carefully brushed Maki's hair from her face, remembering she was a light sleeper. He delicately put one arm underneath her knees and one arm around her shoulders picked her up bridal style and placed her down on her bed. And just as if on cue, the rain came in.

Just his luck huh? Well, Kaito didn't mind the rain so he would still go back and as he turned to the door, he heard thunder and the sound of a-

AAAAH!!!!

Kaito immediately turned back and saw Maki scream and fell off her bed. He rushed to her side and tried to calm her down, he was clearly panicking, unable to know what to do.

"MAKI ROLL!!! What's wrong? Don't worry I'm here." Without waiting for Maki's reply, he carefully positioned her and wrapped his arms around in a light but tight embrace. He didn't think about the consequences of it, all he cared about right now was to keep Maki safe and sound. Now it was clear to Kaito she was afraid of thunder cause before he could say anything, another lightning bolt came which made Maki flinch. Maki welcomed Kaito's embrace which surprised him but was happy to know she trusted him enough to hug her. Kaito rubbed circles around her back, saying comforting things when a lightning bolt strikes like "It's alright Makiroll" or "I'm here and I'm not going anywhere" which made Maki restrain herself bit by bit. Kaito's presence was enough to make her feel safe, happy, comfortable, and a lot of weird but great feelings she felt when around or near him.

Maki eventually regained her composure, but still had the astronaut in her embrace. Kaito was going to pull away but Maki pulled his chest back to her face. He questioned why until he felt wet spots on his shirts, Maki was crying. She was clearly too embarrassed by the fact she was afraid of thunder (she more likely disliked it) and for Kaito to see her in that state. Kaito giggled but smiled a sad smile as he quietly mumbles to Maki "Makiroll, you don't have to be embarrassed." he then kissed the top of her hair and slowly pulled away to see a red and crying Makiroll.

*Even in this state, why does she still look cute?* he thought and cursed himself again for thinking that, shaking his head.

He turned his attention back to Maki who had her head down, still silently crying like a little girl. Without thinking, he lifted her chin up and carefully wiped her tears from her face. Maki immediately turned away from the touch, blushing like a person who just ate a hundred chili peppers. All her life, she has never thought that she would suddenly feel..... WEAK.

Just when Kaito touches her cheeks, looks at her, talks with her, hangs out with her, and hugs her, she would feel a lot of weird but happy feelings. her world of darkness, emptiness, sadness, and her void of nothing, finally had a star shining and dancing around, reminding her that she wasn't alone.

And that star was the man she loved than the stars he says and loves.

Cross post with Archive