chapter 8 : sideburns

Start from the beginning

"Oh y-yes," she began, stuttering. "I'll be ready shortly,"  she said with the biggest smile trying to save face.

"Perfect," Lady Levski replied as she shut the door and headed downstairs.

"You idiot!"  Rosalie said she smacked her on the shoulder with the hairbrush.

"I'm sorry!" Amelia cried, "I forgot."

"Well don't forget tonight. We can't afford to get caught."

"Don't worry. I'll just stay in a corner all night, and I won't talk to anyone. I'll just blend in and keep a low presence," she said assuring Rosalie that all will be right.

~~~~~~~

Her plan was actually working until he came around.

She didn't even have a second to think about what was actually happening when he dragged her to the dance floor.

As he led the two of them around in a waltz, Amelia's brain tried to process the situation, as it already felt like a memory, though it only occurred mere seconds ago.

"Dance with me"

"You! What are you doing?!!"

"You owe me one, remember?"

"You owe me one?," what was he even talking about?, she wondered.

He continued to lead her around, and she thought about quickly pulling away and making a run for it.

But she couldn't.

Everyone was staring.

Everyone.

Why? This was perfectly normal wasn't it?

Dozens of other women and men had danced already tonight and no one gave a second look.

What was so bizarre about the two of us? she thought.

Was it me?

She knew that being a newcomer, she would make some heads turn as people would try to see who the 'foreigner' was.

Usually, it was just the other debutantes trying to sniff out possible competition.

She wasn't lying when told Rose that she was going to try her best to blend in tonight.

She wore her darkest dress, and spent most of her time, in the corner, counting the minutes down to when she could finally go home, just as she planned.

Was it him then?

Was there something about him that made everyone stare?

Who was he?

And why did everyone care?

They had been dancing several minutes when she realized she hadn't even made eye contact with him the entire time.

Through the corner of her eye, as he spun her around, Amelia took a peek and noticed that he wasn't looking at her either.

Though she only glanced for a second, she could see he was rather handsome.

He had deep, dark brown eyes and the thickest of sideburns you had ever seen on a man before.

There was something familiar about him, but she just couldn't place it.

Who was he?, she pondered.

Why is he dancing with me?

And why was that surprising to everyone else?

Seconds after, the song ended and she exhaled a breath of relief. She didn't even want the answers to her questions; she just wanted to get as far away as possible from this ridiculous situation.

Hopefully, Amelia could get out of here undiscovered, and the events of tonight would be disregarded from everyone's minds, and she never had to see sideburns ever again.

She quickly curtseyed to the man, but before she could turn away, he grabbed her hand once again, and began to twirl her around, as the orchestra commenced another song.

What the hell was he doing?

Amelia looked around again.

Thankfully, it seemed everyone had already gotten used to the scene and they continued to go about their previous business.

But still, he didn't let go of her, and they continued to dance.

When the voices were loud enough again, she realized she wanted some answers. "Who are you?!!!"

"Oh I'm sorry," he said as he looked at her directly in the eye for the first time that night.
"Let me remind you," and he wrapped his fingers into a fist and mimed punching his eye.

Her eyes widened, realizing that sideburns was the man she punched the other day. She didn't get a good look of him that day, and she barely recognized with the black eye covered up. 

"You owe me one, remember?" he said earlier tonight and now she understood what he meant when he said that.

fuck

~~~~~~~

A/N

ahaha hope you enjoyed

also a quick recap in case you forgot :

rosalie and amelia are friends. rosalie was sent here to get married but she loves someone else back home. so instead she sends amelia to take her place for the time being. so this whole time amelia is pretending to be rosalie and vice versa

hope that makes sense, lmk if it doesn't and quickly skim chapter 4 if it'll help

also double update today...

so pretty please vote 🥰🥰
so enjoy the next chapter!!

🌚🌚

violet

24/01/21