Waiting for the person in front of me to finish their order, ears ringing and feet itching to turn right around and leave, it takes me a minute to notice that the woman at the register is still silent.

I focus my gaze ahead for the first time since entering the café and freeze instantly, heart lurching in my chest and blood draining from my cheeks when I see the familiar, soft emerald eyes are already trained on me.

He's half-turned, wallet in tattooed hand and pink lips popped open slightly. His chestnut hair curls behind his ear and vanishes under the collar of his corduroy jacket. He blinks a few times, breathing deeply, and I have to break the intense stare before my heart explodes.

True to his word, Harry has managed to stay away from the hospital, from the shop, and from my house these last seven days. He completely vanished from my life like I asked him to, begged him to... Not what I wanted, but what I needed.

But, I felt his absence more deeply than expected, each moment without him feeling less. Less vibrant, less exciting, less warm... just less. When my father would tell a joke or share a sad anecdote from his past, I found myself turning to share the moment with Harry, but he wasn't there.

I'm both grateful and crushed that he's determined to leave me be like I asked.

Though, he's never left my thoughts. Not once.

"Sir?" The cashier leans around to try to catch Harry's gaze and he suddenly snaps out of it, closing his mouth and turning back around.

I let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding as Harry pays and moves to the side of the counter, allowing me space to place my order. Dreading being in his vicinity, I hesitate slightly before walking forward, my heels seeming much too loud on these sticky tiles.

The woman, who I finally recognize as Janet Myers from school, forces a smile as I step up. She gives me a quick once over, but I ignore the distaste in her eyes as I tell her what I want. I feel Harry's eyes on me the whole time and barely register the door opening once again, a couple stepping inside behind us. His intense stare and intoxicating woodsy scent are too overwhelming to concentrate on much else.

Before I can even speak, a cook from the room beyond the register calls out to Janet and she abruptly holds up a finger to stop me, disappearing behind the corner. It takes everything in me not to meet Harry's imploring eyes, pretending to examine the pastries in the glass case next to the register while I wait for Janet to return.

The couple behind us are lost in their own conversation and Harry takes the opportunity to lean towards me, breath fanning my ear and making my skin prickle.

"I know I have a tendency to pop up a lot, but I swear I didn't follow you here or anything... I mean, you never come into town, I had no idea you'd be here."

With a deep breath, I finally look up to catch his curious stare and amused smirk, palms held up in surrender. It takes me a minute to realize he's teasing me and I chuckle against my better judgement.

Rolling my eyes, I pull my bag up higher and lightly knock into his shoulder. He sways dramatically and his gruff laughter closes around my heart like a fist, having missed that sound so dearly. It's a peaceful moment, but it's tarnished by the murmurs growing in volume behind us. It takes everything in me not to turn around and just focus on the bright day ahead.

Harry doesn't feel the same way though, glancing behind him briefly with a fierce glare before turning back to me, all mirth from a moment ago vanished.

I keep my gaze forward, but can see Harry clench his jaw from my peripherals. I try to distract him, voice steady. "My ego isn't that large to think you purposefully came to a café I never frequent in hopes of running into me."