1

******

******

"Yes," said Mrs. Hunt. "Once again, I do apologize, but it's just the requirement."

I nodded once and thanked her, left the stupid student services office, and kicked the first locker I saw on my way out.

Well, damnit. What am I supposed to do now?

What am I supposed to do now, because graduating early was my one way out of this goddamn school. This goddamn city. This... hell.

I hate it here, everybody hates me because that's what everyone told them to and nobody understands. Damnit!

Mrs. Hunt knew I wanted to graduate early since last year, we made that decision. So why didn't she tell me that, in order to do so, I would need at least one extracurricular here at school? This is so stupid. What, did she assume I had already done one?

The thought almost made me laugh out loud. Me, in any type of after school activity. Me, with my dark clothes and gloomy attitude doing yearbook in comparison to the polished preppy girls who put it together every year (just so they'd make sure they got the best class superlative, and had the best photos of them and their friends included). Me and my twig looking self playing soccer alongside the tall, lean, and tan blonde girls. Right. I wouldn't fit in anywhere at all.

I walked down the hallway and got to my locker. If everything had went right, this would be my last week of high school... but now, I would have to be here for at least another few months to finish through with whatever activity I chose. Mrs Hunt said field hockey or cross country, or volleyball would work well; the season ends around November, and then I could leave. But I'm not even athletic. I would get cut from tryouts. She also suggested math league, then I would only need to participate in 5 tournaments. I had to bite the inside of my cheek to keep from laughing at that one.

"Just my luck," I mumbled upon arrival at my locker. Just my luck, because a few lockers down were Nini Salazer Roberts (flanked by Kourtney Greene) and Ricky Bowen (flanked by his best friend... Big Red, I think he goes by).

They appeared to be arguing. Nini and Ricky had dated since last year but they had some big falling out and were apparently on a break all summer.

Then I heard Nini's voice. "I'm sorry Ricky, but it's a break up now."

With that, she and Kourtney walked away.

Ricky looked very upset, and I almost felt bad for him. Scratch that, I did feel very much sorry for him. I knew what it was like to be dropped by Nini.

I didn't know Ricky at all, but I knew Nini very well. We used to be best friends, from about 1st grade to 8th grade. The beginning of freshman year was when things went south.