CH. 12: THANKSGIVING

Start from the beginning

Derek lets out a sigh. He stands up and smoothens the black shirt he's wearing that has become a bit crumpled from rolling around the bed as he texted his friends. He grabs my hands, giving it a light squeeze. I love the feeling of his hands intertwined with mine. It gives me warmth and it brings me comfort that somehow, everything's going to be okay. I could just keep holding his hand and I wouldn't complain on it. Raising his arm and lightly touching my cheek, he smiles at me before tiptoeing for a kiss, which I gladly accept. His lips have also become my comfort when I'm having negative thoughts, mostly about my parents, and I'm glad that Derek is there to become my pillar when everything around me seems to be falling apart. He's the only one left standing, and he keeps standing on his ground just to be around me.

He seems like a divine person, an angel in disguise, that has come to help me. As I stare deep into his eyes, my tears swell. Despite what happened a few days ago, despite the harsh words I've said, he's still here, standing in front of me with a hand on my cheek.

"You're going to be fine, Nero," Derek assures me.

"But d –"

"Trust me," he wraps his arms around me, burying his face in the crook of my neck. I play with his nape hair, loving how soft his hair is on my fingers. "My parents love you, as much as they loved you back then when I first told them about you."

"Really?"

"Have I lied to you?" Derek muses, his brow raised as if daring me to say yes or nod my head. I shake my head. He grins and pecks me on the lips. "You look handsome, by the way. Just want to throw that out because I want to be an appreciative boyfriend."

"And you look as cute as the first time I saw you," I chuckle, leaning down until the tip of our noses is touching. "The old me wouldn't admit that, but the now me would tell you that every single day, if you want to hear it, or until you get tired of it."

Derek blushes, punching me lightly on the arm. "When did you get so romantic?"

"Since I stopped holding myself back," I murmur before I lean down, capturing his lips with me. His hand immediately wraps around my neck, pulling me closer, as he kisses me back with just as much passion as I put in.

The phone rings, jolting us apart. Then we share a good laugh.

Derek grabs his phone answers the call before it stops ringing. "Mom, ah, okay." He puts his phone in his pocket and nods his head on my suitcase. "Grab your stuff. They are here. They're waiting in the parking lot." He must have seen the look on my face before chuckles, shaking his head. "Nero. You're fine. My parents are not going to kill you."

"100% sure?"

"100% sure."

That's all the assurance I need. I kiss him one more time before I grab my suitcase, heading out first before he can say anything. I look over my shoulder and a laugh escapes my lips as my eyes find the shocked but dreamy expression etched on his face. Once he recovers, he rolls his eyes at me playfully then heads out. He locks the door and leads me to the parking lot where a grey Innova.

A woman who resembles Derek climbs out the car, followed by a taller man who does look like Derek. His family is fucking beautiful, and I look like a fucking dork. The woman hugs Derek when he's within reach. Derek groans.

"You must be Nero," the man says. "I'm Dima. Derek's father."

"And I'm Galina, sweety." Galina says as she gives me a hug that catches me off-guard. Derek gives me a sheepish grin. "I've heard a lot of things about you, since Derek doesn't really shut up about you. He told us a lot of stuff."