𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑: 𝐄𝐋𝐕𝐈𝐑𝐀

★────── ✦✧✦──────★

Night falls across Narnia when we reach Cair Paravel again, the hooves of the horses echoing over the courtyard as they collide in a steady rhythm with the light coloured stones.

Servants run out of the castle and grab the horses by their reins as they come to a sliding halt.

Caspian jumps of Destrier and rushes to Peter who holds Susan, her body limp. She hasn't opened her eyes since we escaped the bandits' lair and droplets of blood still flow in a steady matter out of the wound on her forehead.

'Careful,' Peter warns Caspian as he helps to get Susan off the horse's back.

'I know,' Caspian says, putting one of Susan's arms around his neck and he slowly lowers her till she's safely in his grasp.

I dismount my horse as well, ignoring the throbbing pain in my shoulder the best I can.

Caspian carries Susan inside the castle while I, Salvador, Edmund and Peter follow closely behind. Lucy runs into the hallway, the fabric of her red dress flowing behind her while concern swims in her blue eyes.

'Susan!' she screams, but then notices her closed eyes and bloodied face. 'Is she alright?'

Caspian nods but tightens his grip on Susan. 'She will be,' he says, quickly glancing at me and I hum in agreement.

'Are you sure?' Lucy says, her hand reaching for the healing cordial on her hip. 'I can heal her wounds in the blink of an eye.'

We all look at the red medicinal potion inside the glass bottle, but after the many adventures there isn't much left.

Peter slowly shakes his head, though I could tell it is with much difficulty. 'No, Lucy. We have to use the healing potion truly as a last resort. I am sure Elvira can handle it?'

I smile reassuringly at him and the others. 'I know it looks bad, but she will be alright.'

Caspian carries Susan all the way to the royal chambers, refusing anyone else to touch her and he gently lays her on the bed.

'I need my medicine bag, warm water, and clean bandages,' I say, feeling a bit awkward to give orders, but the servants nod and shoot away in different directions.

'Can I help with anything?' Caspian asks, but I shake my head. I always rather work alone.

'Call us if anything changes,' he continues after a small silence.

'Of course.'

Caspian gestures for Lucy, Edmund, Peter and Salvador to follow him out of the chambers to leave me alone with Susan.

Peter, however, glances over his shoulder as he lingers in the doorway; his eyes traveling over my exhausted body. 'Don't forget to take care of yourself as well,' he says, and for a moment, I'm at loss for words but before I can formulate an answer, he's already gone.

I clear my throat, trying to regain my posture as Salvador grins at me before leaving the chambers as last.

I put my sword on the dresser and pull a chair towards the bed to examine Susan wounds until the servants return with the things I had asked for. The wound on her forehead seems to be the worst, but I also felt some broken ribs on the left side of her body. Unfortunately, there isn't much I can do about those, only time can heal that kind of an injury.

The servants leave again and I dip a clean cloth in the warm water, wringing most of it out again before I wipe away the stained blood on Susan's face. As I clean the wound more and more, I start to realize this didn't happen by accident. The lines are too straight, too neat, too precise. It's almost like a symbol. . .

'Oh no,' I whisper, letting the cloth fall with a splash into the water. Those bandits carved Aslan's symbol in her forehead! The cuts are deep, it might never heal fully, without leaving a scar.

Suddenly, Susan groans and her eyes flutter open as her breathing speeds up. I quickly place a hand on her shoulder, and her blue eyes stop darting throughout the room, landing on my own.

'It's alright,' I say with a soft voice. 'You're safe. We're back at Cair Paravel. No one can harm you here.'

'Cai-- Cair Paravel?' Susan repeats, her voice cracking and hoarse. Her breathing seems to relax but then she frowns and her hand slowly moves to her head. I take her hand between my own before she can touch the wound.

She chokes back a sob and closes her eyes for a few seconds. 'Does it look bad?' she asks, meeting my gaze before I can hide the concern on my face.

'No?' I answer.

'You're a terrible liar,' Susan retorts with a sigh.

I bite on my lip, letting go of her hand. 'It will heal with time,' I say with as much confidence I can muster. 'I've cleaned the markings, and as long as it doesn't get infected, it will heal nicely. That means,' I continue, swatting her hand away as she reaches for the wound again, 'no touching.'

Susan huffs but smiles as well. 'Yes, ma'am.'

We both jump slightly on our spots when a loud bell chimes throughout the castle. The walls and floor vibrate by every chime and the windows shake in their frames.

Susan sits up with a groan whereas I reach for my sword that I had put on the dresser behind me. When the bells of Cair Paravel ring, it can mean only a few things, and right now it means the castle is under attack.

The door swings open and the wood hits the wall with a loud bang. In the shadows of the hallway stand three unknown figures. I unsheathe my sword and the metallic sound breaks the tense silence.

'Are you sure you want to do that, little girl?' one of the figures asks, his foreign accent thick as the words roll in an unpleasant way off his tongue.

I place one foot in front of the other, turning my body sideways and raising the sword as an answer. I bite back the pain of my shoulder wound as the weight of the sword seems to grow heavier, but I will not give in.

The man laughs and steps into the light of the burning candles inside the chamber. He is undoubtedly from Calormen. 'Have it your way then.'

He swings his scimitar my way and just in time I can block his blow, the force sending painful pangs down my arm. I let out a hiss but still push him back with all my might, feeling my shoulder wound opening again and the blood quickly drenches my shirt. The man, however, did not expect it and he stumbles a few paces backwards.

'Elvira, look out,' Susan warns me when a second man charges around the first, his sword already raised and aiming for my throat.

I duck underneath the blade, turning around on the ball of my feet and slicing the muscles in his leg in the process. The man screams in pain and falls down on one knee, unable to use his other leg anymore.

However, I crash right into the third man charging for me and he kicks my sword out of my hands. I try to reach for the handle but the man moves faster, knocking me out with one harsh blow and then my vision is engulfed with darkness. . .

★────── ✦✧✦──────★