Nightmare

You were staying at the Water Tower like any other night. You were sleeping on your beanbag next to Yakko's ball pit, you still didn't know how or why he slept in that thing. It was the middle of the night and you were awake for whatever reason, just laying there, waiting to fall back asleep, when you heard something shift quickly.

You turned to look and saw Yakko sitting up. "Hey," you whispered, "you alright?" It was dark and you couldn't see his face.

He continued looking forward, still not quite awake enough to have heard you. His breaths were heavy and shakey. You sat up and turned to him, allowing your eyes to adjust to the darkness, and you could see the look of distress on his face as he turned to you.

You quickly got up and positioned yourself next to him. "Are you okay?" you asked him.

He shakily swallowed and took a deep breath. "Yeah, just a nightmare."

"What happened?" You placed a hand on his shoulder.

You saw his face contort and a tear roll down his cheek. You pulled him into a hug and you could feel him crying lightly on your shoulder.

"It's alright, everything's okay." you told him comfortingly, and stroked his back gently.

He held onto you hightly, burrying his face in the crook of your neck. He stayed like that for a while before taking a deep breath and pulling away. You rubbed his arm gently and waited for him to speak when he was ready.

"They were locking us away again." he said with a shakey breath. "Except... except they seperated us this time." Another tear ran down his cheek as he said that. "They locked me away somewhere and Wakko and Dot were somewhere else, I didn't know where. I just- I just sat there in darkness and my only thought was th-" He had started crying again, and you pulled him back into a hug. "My only thought was that I was gonna be there again, for another 60 years, all alone."

You stroked the back of his head and tried to sooth him. "Yakko, I will never let anything like that happen to you." you told him.

He wrapped his arms around you and held onto you as if you would be gone if he let go. He breathed heavily and rested his chin on your shoulder. Your legs were tucked under his and you were both turned at an angle. You wanted to just swoop him up in your arms and cradle him like a baby, but you settled for pulling him into your lap. At first he was a bit embarassed but soon he melted into the hug, accepting the comfort you were offering.

You stroked his back until his breath steadied, and he looked up at you with tired eyes and a grateful expression

"Thank you, I actually have those kinds of nightmares kinda frequently." He let out a tired chuckle. "But it's really nice to actually be able to talk about it this time, to have someone here."

You held onto his hand and looked him in the eyes. "If you have a nightmare, you can always wake me up or just crawl over to where I am and I'll give you a hug. If I'm not here you can call me, I'll always be happy to help if I can."

"I wouldn't want to bother you," he said, shaking his head, "especially not wake you up in the middle of the night."

You pulled him into a tight hug. "If it's for you, I don't mind at all." You pulled back and held his shoulders, making him look you in the eyes. "Please, I'm serious, if you need me just let me know."

"I- okay..." he said, a small smile on his lips.

You cupped his cheek and gave him a kiss on the forehead, making him laugh a bit.

"I feel like a baby." he commented, what with the forehead kiss and still being in your lap.

"You are a baby, you're my baby." you said, squeezing him.

This made him blush, and he when you let go of him he quickly kissed you on the lips. The kiss was short, and he smiled at you when you pulled away.

You decided to stay with him the rest of the night. You laid there, your arms around each other, and you nuzzled your face into his chest. You could hear his heartbeat.

"I love you." you whispered to him.

"I love you too." he whispered back.

You were soon asleep, but he stayed awake a little while longer, thinking to himself. Not about the nightmare, but about you. He was so grateful to have someone who cared and a shoulder to cry on. He felt safe and loved when he was with you. He fell asleep with a soft smile on his face.

~
I'm sorry, I know this chapter is a lot shorter than the others and pretty different but I wanted to write something like this with him, he takes care of 2 younger siblings all on his own, he must have some repressed fear and stress.
anyway, I hope you liked it
~