Chapter 2 - Together

Start from the beginning

"Who is it?" Althea's soft voice asks from somewhere inside. He steps aside and she moves into the doorframe to see. I almost fall backward as she leaps out to wrap me in a long-awaited embrace.

"Caspian. I missed you." She says, her voice vibrating with happiness.

"I missed you too." I hold her tightly and plant a small kiss on the top of her head. "I won't leave without you again." She laughs happily and pulls away, her eyes glittering with bright tears.

"I'm so proud of you. I knew you could do it." She says as I hold her small hands in mine.

"It wasn't just me and I'm not quite finished yet."

"What do you mean?" She asks looking confused and no longer teary-eyed.

"I'm going to the Lone Islands. I want you to come with me."

"Of course I will... Is that why you gave me that book?"

I nod and she smiles that beautiful smile that I've missed for so long. The urge to kiss her washes over me, it's almost unbearable not to, but she turns away leaving me feeling frustrated.

"Trufflehunter? I know this is all last minute but do you think you could take over my duties at the castle?" She asks.

"Of course." He smiles happily and disappears back inside, coming out a few seconds later holding Althea's medicine bag. "Everything you brought is already packed inside."

"You're the best." She says, giving him a small hug.

"Sorry to cut this goodbye short, but they'll be waiting for us," Reepicheep says.

"You didn't think you could leave without saying goodbye to me too did you?" Trumpkin grunts, walking out from inside the tree to join everyone else.

"Of course not." Althea giggles and quickly hugs him too.

"Alright get going. And be careful, all three of you." Trufflehunter says, shooing us away with his paws.

Reepicheep doesn't hesitate and scampers off, not waiting for us to catch up. Althea slings her bag over her shoulder and follows me to Destrier, who honestly looks more excited to see her than me.

"I'm gone for months and he greets you like I'm not even here." I sigh dramatically.

"It's all the treats I give him." She laughs and pats his neck. I've scolded her several times to only give him a few, but she has never listened.

She pulls herself up into the saddle and looks down at me waiting. I climb on behind her and try to take the reins but she snatches them out of my grasp.

"Oh really?" I chuckle in her ear as I rest my hands on her hips.

"Are you going to act like this the whole time?" She asks.

"Yes."

She sighs and hands me the reins. I'm in no rush to catch up to everyone else so I purposely make Destrier walk slowly. I move the reins into one hand and wrap my free arm around her waist, pulling her back against my chest.

"Why did you leave the castle?" I ask quietly. Her hand rests on mine and I feel her take a deep breath.

"Are you upset with me?" She asks.

"Of course not. I was worried though."

"I'm sorry I worried you, I just needed a break." She says, rubbing her face.

"Do you not like being at the castle?" I ask seriously.

"No, it's not that. I just don't like it as much when you're not there with me... People treat me with either overwhelming kindness or the opposite."

"People have been treating you poorly?" My voice sounds angrier than I meant but it has nothing to do with her.

I take her lack of response as a yes. I gave her the title and job hoping that people would be more accepting of her, not just because of me. I should've known better because people still treat me with a sickening, fake kindness, and I'm King.

"You don't have to worry about that anymore. I'm here and I won't be leaving anytime soon. I promise I'll find a way to make it better."

"You do more than enough Caspian, it's just me, I'll get used to it." She says, the tone of her voice telling me how she really feels.

"Althea." I pull on the reins, making Destrier stop walking for a moment. She twists around in the saddle to look at me, her eyebrows furrowed. I bring a hand up to cradle her face and she leans into it, I lightly kiss the space between her eyebrows until her face relaxes.

Something small and yellow flashes in the corner of my eye then it flashes again. Lightning bugs.

"Look," I whisper. She faces forward again and even though I can't see her face, I know she's smiling. In seconds the forest is full of them, lighting up the trees and leaf-covered floor. It doesn't even feel like nighttime anymore.

"I don't think I've ever seen this many lightning bugs," I say and she laughs at me.

"Lightning bugs? They're fireflies." She says.

"That's absurd. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about." She giggles again and gives me a cute side-eyed glare.

"Okay fine, they're fireflies." I say, urging Destrier to start walking again.

"I win."
~~~
Thank you for reading! I hope you all enjoyed. I'm really surprised by all the support on this book already. I think you guys are really going to love what I have planned ;)
Don't forget to vote, comment suggestions, and follow for future updates!