2

"Ghastly!"

"Horrendous!"

"Honestly, how does their mother expect them to find suitors in those awful gowns?"

Phoebe clenched her jaw. She hated her dresses, she knew Penelope did as well. Always so bright, bold, and patterned. As much as she hated gowns in general, what she wouldn't give to have the simple, subtle colors of the rest of the Ton. It would be far easier to blend in if that were the case, and heaven forbid that ever happen for a Featherington.

Ignoring the whispers, the younger Featherington sisters entered the beautiful ballroom behind their parents. Phoebe couldn't help but take in all the details in Lady Danbury's architecture. The intricately painted tiles, the ornate stone pillars, the flower arrangements were all so captivating. She could spend hours tracing each detail with her slender finger.

"Keep walking," Prudence muttered from behind. Phoebe had slowed down unintentionally to admire the room and, much to her sister's annoyance, had created a gap between herself and her parents.

Eyes that had found the Lord and Lady were now keen to watch as the four daughters made their way into the room. Phoebe felt her skin burn under the watchful eyes and prayed her fair skin did not deceive her.

She kept her head held high and clutched tighter to Penelope's arm, keeping her by her side as they reunited with their parents. How she hated when people watched her, wished she could crawl in a hole to escape it all.

But she would never let the Ton know that. She wouldn't give them the satisfaction of knowing that she dreaded whenever her mama would open her mouth, just like the rest of them. She, just like others, found her older sisters to be annoying and without much to offer besides conversations about trivial things like cheeses. As much as she hated what she endured because of her family, the stares, whispers, and laughs, she was glad she had Penelope and her friends, the Bridgerton's.

The Bridgerton's were the finest family Phoebe had ever seen. All the boys handsome, the girls gorgeous; all with fine manners, appreciative of the arts, and most importantly to Phoebe, wonderfully caring to each other.

The older brothers were wonderful when playing with the youngest children. It made Phoebe's heart swell whenever she saw them playing together in the park. Giggling, joking, and teasing each other. Deeply caring for one another and not trying to rival the other. Vastly different than Phoebe's relationship with her older siblings.

Prudence and Philippa were about as sour as they come. Constantly demeaning sweet Penelope and ridiculing Phoebe for her silence. Phoebe could honestly care less what they said about her, but it pained her to endlessly see her poor younger sister be so horribly treated.

Nights on end, Phoebe would find herself in Penelope's room, silently stroking the younger girl's hair while the poor thing sobbed onto Phoebe's night dress. She would listen while Penelope would tell her of the things she wished she could say to the vile sisters. The younger girl would pace back and forth, her fair face turning red as she became so worked up at the sadness inside of her. When words escaped Penelope, her caring older sister would wrap her in a firm embrace and hold her tight. "You are not what they say about you." Phoebe would whisper sternly into Penelope's ear. "Do you hear me? You are not." Pulling away to stare into her sister's big eyes, she would reassuringly squeeze Penelope's upper arms. "You are so much more. You're going to do amazing things, be so happy. And best of all," a sad smirk would tug at the corner of Phoebe's lips. "You'll end up somewhere far from here."

Penelope would pull away, offended at the thought. "I would never leave you and mama and papa." She would cross her arms over her chest and fight tears as they attempted to spill onto her cheeks.

Phoebe would pull her into another hug and sigh, "You'll be much happier if you do."

Yes, life as a Featherington was surely not as pleasant as that of a Bridgerton.

The music changed into a lovely waltz and Phoebe wished to be alone so she could dance on her own. She hated that she had to be asked to dance. Even more so, she especially dreaded that the dances were so choreographed that there was no chance to be free to let the music take you over. She quite enjoyed listening to Daphne Bridgerton play the pianoforte while she swayed carelessly to the beautiful sounds. Nothing like that could ever happen at a ball.

Speaking of Daphne Bridgerton, the diamond had just arrived on the arms of her mother and eldest brother. Viscountess Violet Bridgerton looked lovely with her curled hair pinned to her head in just the right places. Daphne looked absolutely stunning in her new gown. The details were subtle but gorgeous just the same.

Then there was the Viscount, Anthony Bridgerton. Phoebe's breathing faltered. The seriousness in his face was not something she was accustomed to. His eyes searched the crowd, almost daring someone to be the first one to advance on his sister. Ever since taking on the title that once belonged to his loving father, the eldest Bridgerton had not been the same. He seemed distanced, distracted, and quite short tempered; not at all like the man Phoebe once knew.

Anthony's eyes caught hold of Phoebe's. She swore she saw his frown deepen, but just as quickly as she saw it, it faded. It must have been her mind playing tricks on her. That or the whiskey she stole from her father's cupboard before she arrived. Either option was a possibility. He tore his eyes away from Phoebe and spoke to Lady Bridgerton. The slight sting she felt in her chest was forgotten as Penelope's grip on her arm tightened.

"He's here!" Penelope whispered through a smile. Her large eyes were locked on another Bridgerton boy. This one had the same dark hair as the eldest however, his face was much more boyish. "Oh, Phoebe. What if Colin asks me to dance tonight?"

Phoebe gave her younger sister an encouraging smile. "Then he is a lucky man, Pen." She withdrew her arm from Penelope's vice like hold. "And you should say yes and have fun. Lord knows one of us should." Phoebe's soft voice almost unheard by her sister.

Penelope scoffed. "Oh please. As if anyone would dance with me over you."

Phoebe shrugged. "I like the Bridgerton boy." An idea occurred to her and she leaned in to whisper in Pen's ear. "What if I ask him for a dance, then when we are finished, I could suggest he have one with you?" Penelope pulled back and gaped at her sister, shock written across her round face. "It would get mother off my back and hopefully a Bridgerton in your arms?"

Penelope's words seemed to escape her. She would be mortified to ask a gentleman to dance. However, her sister was no typical lady. And as awkward as it might be at first, Penelope knew Phoebe had no feelings towards Colin other than as friends. What could be the harm in a dance? It might even get her one as well.

"Alright, sister." Penelope smiled as she stepped out of the way. "I wish you luck in your quest. I shall remain here, watching you pretend to have no fun."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello readers!
I do hope you are enjoying this! I am very excited to continue Phoebe's story!
Thank you so much for 60 reads on chapter 1! That's crazy!
As always, I would love to hear any thoughts you have while reading or ideas about what you think might happen! Please comment on and like this story so others can find it!