Chapter 7: Gooseberry Pie

Start from the beginning

"If rakish dukes were one's thing."

Eleanor remained silent but heard Colin and Benedict begin to talk sparring. In the lull of conversation with those seated around him, Simon observed Daphne for a moment.

"You appear displeased," he stated.

Eleanor didn't quite think she did.

"Do I?" asked Daphne in reply.

"We find ourselves seated beside each other, Miss Bridgerton. I'd like to think you're happy about that."

Hm, Eleanor thought. That was the basis of his comment?

"Perhaps, Your Grace, it would be better if you refrained from thinking about me at all."

Was there something that Eleanor had missed? Maybe Daphne hadn't been exaggerating about her literal run-in with the Duke at the first ball of the season. They certainly seemed a bit tense.

The Duke looked forward and made eye contact with Eleanor for a moment as he processed what Daphne had said, a bit stunned.

"It is simply surprising," he continued.

"Yes! However is it possible for a lady to offer anything but a smile whilst seated beside a duke?" Daphne retorted, a hint of sarcasm in her voice but still aware that her mother was seated nearby.

Eleanor, who had in fact been smiling while seated across from the Duke, heard Daphne's words and dropped her face immediately into a more neutral expression.

"... even one of your reputation," continued Daphne.

"You are aware of my reputation."

"I am aware of your friendship with my eldest brother."

Anthony began to watch on from the other side of the table, and the Duke remained silent for the moment.

Again, Daphne continued, "If that were not enough, I am also aware of the things a certain writer has recently written of you. Presumptuous? Clearly. Arrogant? Most definitely. You are a rake, through and through. Tell me I'm wrong."

Instead of defending himself, the Duke simply replied, "Who is to refrain from thinking about whom again?"

Eleanor had to admit, she did enjoy watching a new mind bicker with her sister.

"I assure you," Daphne said to the Duke, "I am anything but interested in you."

"Good."

"Quite."

Ah. Monosyllabic now.

"And I anything but interested in you, the eldest sister of my oldest friend, yet another recent subject of a certain writer. Chaste, neat, desperate..."

Daphne looked a bit offended now.

"I shall have you know..." she began.

"... to marry, that is," the Duke finished. "Tell me I am wrong."

Eloise, having heard the entire exchange, couldn't help but laugh.

The Viscountess gave her a scolding look, and Eloise ignored the glance by turning instead to Eleanor and pretending like she hadn't been listening. Eloise cleared her throat. Eleanor smiled in return. Daphne looked like she was boring holes into the Duke's head with her eyes.

Thankfully, the group had a reprieve as Anthony called out from the head of the table.

"Hastings, I'm so glad you decided to join us this evening. It was most spontaneous of you."

"Not at all," the Duke replied, looking straight at Anthony through Daphne as if she wasn't there. "With Lady Danbury accepting your dear mother's gracious invitation on my behalf, well, however could I have declined?"

The Viscountess smiled.

"You must stay for dessert," she added. "It's gooseberry pie, Your Grace."

"Ah! Lovely!"

With a chuckle and a smile from the Viscountess aimed in her eldest son's direction, the conversation fell silent again. Silverware clinked together, glasses made soft noises as they were placed on the table, and murmurs were heard from other parts of the room, but between the Duke and the ladies that sat immediately around them, there seemed to be a pause.

Simon looked down at his food, unsure of what to say, or even whom to address.

When she was sure that Daphne wasn't going to take another dig at him, Eleanor inquired with the Duke.

"My brother tells me that you traveled for quite some time after Oxford. Did you enjoy your time abroad?"

"Quite, thank you."

Eleanor smiled in return. She hadn't planned out what to say after that. Luckily, the Duke spoke up again.

"Have you ever traveled abroad?" he asked Eleanor.

"No, Your Grace, I haven't had the chance."

"Well, you must if you can. So many things to learn – history, the military. It was quite enjoyable to see in person. Much more alive than simply reading about it in a study somewhere."

Oh, so he remembers. Okay then.

Eleanor laughed a little in response, unsure what to say. It would be completely inappropriate if anyone saw or knew that she and the Duke ran into each other in the study the night of Lady Danbury's ball, and here he was, seated a short distance away from the Viscountess, tempting fate and hinting at their encounter. Eleanor was immensely thankful that he didn't say anything too direct.

"Indeed," she finally replied. "But I do so like to read."

It seemed like she made it through the conversation unscathed. Daphne continued eating, still with an annoyed look in her eye from before, and the Viscountess sat watching her children all gathered around together, with them all, for the most part, behaving.

Suddenly, Eleanor wanted to ask the Duke more, but she could sense that her mother was intending on Daphne being his potential match, and with Daphne and the Duke's exchange coming to a stinging halt earlier, Eleanor guessed that she probably shouldn't do any further talking with him at present.