Chapter 6: The Duke

Ambitious Mamas rejoice, for the new Duke of Hastings continues to grace our fair city with his presence. And, oh, what an impressive presence it is!

It should be noted that the Duke has been overheard announcing to mamas everywhere that he has no plans of ever marrying. This Author wonders which brazen matchmaker shall rise to such a challenge, for this competition is well underway.

"You know, I do suppose if it were not for an overzealous mother at every corner, this time of year in the city would not be so very dreadful," Simon remarked to Anthony's while sitting together over drinks.

Anthony leaned back in his chair and said, "Those mothers simply want the same as you, I rather think."

"For every last one of them to choke on their daughters' hair ribbons?"

"For you to claim a wife, Hastings. Are you truly not planning on taking your place in society when you have a dukedom?"

"I have a title," Simon corrected, "which, as far as I'm concerned, will end with me."

"But Hastings..." Anthony interjected.

"Stop calling me that. It was my father's name – never mine. And in any case, what of you?"

"What of me?"

"You are the firstborn Bridgerton of a firstborn Bridgerton, nine times over. Where is your wife?"

Anthony didn't like being challenged. Simon and Anthony had gone to school together back at Oxford, and then after a little time together following their studies, Simon had taken off to travel the world. Anthony stayed behind at home in England, but until late, on the unfortunate event of his father's passing, did not take up any responsibilities that came with the Bridgerton name.

Anthony lifted his cigar to his mouth and waved for another drink.

"Oh," Simon continued in Anthony's silence, "is your plan to fuck her forever, your mistress? You shall need to sire an heir."

Anthony had heard quite enough.

"I'm in possession of something that you are not," he said. "Brothers."

He then raised his glass and gave Simon a look, very clearly ending the conversation.

It has reached my ears that Mr. Colin Bridgerton shall be awarded the year's grand prize when he sweeps Miss Thompson off her pretty little slippered feet.

In other news, a most peculiar suitor for Miss Daphne Bridgerton has emerged.

Daphne tried to shake off her time spent with Lord Berbrooke as she, Eleanor, and their mother attended the opera. Eleanor looked around at all the young women out in society and couldn't help but wonder how the season would end.

For once relishing in a moment without their brothers by their sides, Eleanor and Daphne had hoped to quickly approach their box when Lady Danbury called them over. When a woman such as Lady Danbury requests for you to join her, and when she is standing with Her Majesty the Queen no less, you can do little but approach with haste.

Bowing, Viscountess Bridgerton said, "Your Majesty, good evening. You must remember my daughters, Daphne and Eleanor."

"Yes," the Queen replied – short,  and sweet, I guess – then, "Daphne made quite an impression, however fleeting it may have been." 

Her Majesty laughed. As seemed to be the case with the Queen, she finished her remarks on Daphne and then turned to Eleanor, simply nodded, and then walked away.

As the Viscountess bowed again, Lady Danbury invited them up to her box for the evening.

Once seated, Lady Danbury watched the Queen from afar and filled in Viscountess Bridgerton about the King's health. Eleanor overheard her mention that he wouldn't live till the end of the month.

"Surely another rumor provided by that vicious, scandal-mongering writer," said the Viscountess. "Should her degradation know no bounds?"

"It very well may be true," piped up Eleanor.

"Lady Whistledown writes about my family too," Lady Danbury noted. "Yet I can suppose the Duke can withstand such scrutiny, since he is, after all, a man."

Eleanor snorted a little at Lady Danbury's frank remark.

"His Grace was fortunate to have you there with him as a child, after what happened to his mother. Awful!" said the Viscountess.

"What happened to his mother?" Eleanor asked, but it went unanswered.

She knew he was a Duke, but she still had not been introduced, which no one had seemed to notice, and she knew little of his history beyond the fact that Lady Danbury, despite not being his mother, had practically raised him.

"He is not what Whistledown writes," said Lady Danbury.

"Nor is Daphne," agreed the Viscountess. "I should only hope that this Whistledown woman does not mention Eleanor as well any time soon."

Eleanor tried to pay attention to the performance, but she couldn't help catching words between Lady Danbury and the Viscountess. It seemed that they were scheming, and they perhaps intended to match Daphne with the Duke this season. Eleanor did not know what to think. From her brief encounter with him, he appeared kind, but Daphne's account varied greatly.

Lady Danbury then stated, "The Duke is quite fond of gooseberry pie."

"The very dish my cook is renowned for," responded Viscountess Bridgerton. 

Both women chuckled, while Daphne watched the performance undisturbed and Eleanor began to think that maybe she would soon be properly introduced to the Duke after all.