"I better go, actually." Rumi glanced at the time on her phone. "My stupid sister wants to go watch a film, and my mother is making me go with her."

"Hareem?" I guessed.

Rumi nodded. "I mean, she's nineteen now. She can go watch a film by herself."

"Bangladeshi, Indian or Pakistani. Desi families are the same everywhere." Ashi said. "I don't know what they think will happen. Will we get kidnapped from a cinema hall? Or would we meet the bad boy love of our life who we would ride off into the sunset with?"

"That can't even happen with us. Our Faiz Bhai will track him down immediately, and play the ultimate big brother role and beat the s**t out of him."

"I wish I had a big brother." I muttered. "I feel like Zoha is my little sister, to be honest."

"Zoha is a sweetie." Ashi said. "Not a word against her!"

"I know right. You're lucky to have her." Rumi nodded. "Having a big brother is awesome and all, Alhumdulillah, but it can be a little too much sometimes. He's too overprotective."

I couldn't help thinking about Zain's relationship with his older brother. I wish there was a way to fix it. Talha Bhai wasn't a bad person, he was just...in a difficult situation. And, if we really think hard and deep about it, he wasn't extremely wrong. Uncle and Aunty had left, and Zain and I really didn't need that huge place to ourselves, especially with my current state.

Ya Allah, please resolve the problems between the brothers. Ameen.

****

We were so knackered that evening that Zain and I ordered halal chicken pizza with jalapenos after everyone had left. Eating it straight from the box, we sat back on the sofa, watching a random Bollywood film. Of course, I was providing commentary.

"So, the guy is all wrapped up in winter, but the girl is wearing a sleeveless sari?"

"It's all about what appeals to the audience." He shrugged. "And no, I'm not being sexist. Thing of all the times men randomly and pointlessly took their shirts off in a film. Plot wise, it often makes no sense, but the audience loves it."

I rolled my eyes.

Zain grabbed the last piece of garlic bread. "Share?"

I shook my head.

"Come on. I know you love garlic bread." He split it in half and handed me half the piece, the bigger one.

"Aww, so sweet of you." I accepted it, because I did love garlic bread.

He sighed. "Well, the flat is not too bad."

"Not too bad?! It's gorgeous!" I shook my head at his downsized description of our new home. "I love balconies!"

"For some reason, I'm not at peace." He admitted. "I feel awful about my behaviour with Bhai."

I turned to face him. "Zain, it's Bhabi's right to ask for a separate home..."

"And I am not mad about that, yaar. I'm mad about how they made Mum and Dad feel."

"Bhabi's words did, not Bhai." I gently corrected him. "It only matters whether Bhai supported her behaviour, which I doubt that he did."

He didn't reply, but I could tell that he was seriously thinking about my words.

"Bhai goes back home soon. Talk to him before he does. Life is too short for all this."

He nodded. "I will."

"Good." I smiled. "Trust me, making the first move never leaves you with as much regret as not even attempting."