Chapter 1: Introductions

Start from the beginning

Instead, Eleanor picked up the pace and hurried along to catch up with Daphne, who was now already seated in their carriage and adjusting her jewelry. As Eleanor climbed through the carriage door, she overheard her mother addressing Benedict – something about her brother Anthony's absence and his role as Lord Bridgerton – to which Benedict had little to say in response. Eleanor knew much of the tension between her mother and oldest brothers that arose following her father's death, and she had observed even more than they let on, but she knew that Anthony would do as he pleased and that her mother was working her way through managing them, even in Anthony's frequent absence.

Once the carriage was moving and the women were settled, Viscountess Bridgerton smiled over her children kindly, and Daphne peered out the window. She seemed regal and excited. Eleanor simply looked at her feet.

By the time the carriage had reached their destination, Anthony had managed to join them, appearing outside the carriage for their arrival as if he were there all along. Daphne, looking like she was stepping into her own personal fairytale, stepped out of the carriage first and awaited her family members so that she could link arms with them. Eleanor allowed the rest of their carriage to clear out before she decided to step out herself, wishing she could take a moment longer but spurred on by Eloise's prodding eyes when she noticed that Eleanor hadn't so much as moved since their door had opened.

"Oh, do come on," Eloise whispered.

"You're one to talk," Eleanor retorted.

"You could have waited another year, like me," Eloise reminded her, with almost a little singsong to her voice, like she was ever so pleased with her decision.

Now outside the carriage, Eleanor had just smoothed out her skirt when she heard Anthony say, "shall we?" and they were off.

Today is a most important day, and for some, a terrifying one, for today is the day London's marriage-minded misses are presented to Her Majesty the Queen. May God have mercy on their souls.

It is only the Queen's eye that matters today. A glimmer of displeasure and a young lady's value plummets to unthinkable depths.

Daphne and Eleanor stood behind the doorway leading to the room where the Queen sat, listening in to every noise they could catch, including faint whispers following the Featheringtons' entrance, followed by a moment of silence, and then – a soft thud? That couldn't be right. And it certainly didn't help Eleanor's nerves.

"Mama?" she asked.

Viscountess Bridgerton didn't reply, opting to softly hush Eleanor and stare straight ahead at the door, much like Daphne was doing. If there was ever a moment that Eleanor saw the nerves flash across Daphne's face, it was now, but only for a fleeting second until they heard their introduction.

"Miss Daphne Bridgerton and Miss Eleanor Bridgerton, presented by their mother, the Right Honorable, the Dowager Viscountess Bridgerton."

And that was that. The doors were opened, and the two young women had no choice but to step forward.

There were murmurs around the room as Daphne and Eleanor entered, each girl walking through the threshold evenly, but then somehow, by sheer nature of Daphne's elegance and her confident walk, Daphne's steps took her slightly in front of Eleanor as they proceeded toward the Queen, and Eleanor couldn't quite seem to match it, mostly for fear of taking a tumble and perhaps knocking Daphne down with her. Could that have been the thud that she heard earlier? The thought made her eyesight fuzzy and dark around the edges, so she focused on the path straight ahead of her and tried her best to carry on. It was a very long walk.

Her sisters beamed from the side of the room, but Eleanor and Daphne could only see them slightly out of the corners of their eyes. Instead, their focus was on the Queen, who was rather hard to read. Her face was discerning and fairly stoic and, given that the girls waited in the hall outside to be introduced, neither could tell if the Queen had been the same way for the ladies that entered before them. Daphne, still a step or so ahead of Eleanor, bowed her head when she reached the Queen, and then Eleanor followed her lead.

Time seemed to stretch on forever. Now, looking down, neither Daphne nor Eleanor could see the Queen's appraising looks, and they realized in this moment that they didn't know exactly what they were waiting for, or how to proceed. Then, when Eleanor wondered how long she would need to bow her head for, she noticed the Queen's feet begin to appear in her vision. Her breath caught in her lungs.

The feet moved toward Daphne. Eleanor looked up slightly, as much as she could while still maintaining her bow and her posture, just in time to see the Queen touch Daphne's chin and lift it up a bit. The Queen led Daphne into a standing position, and if Daphne gulped, the room didn't notice.

"Flawless, my dear," stated the Queen, who then touched Daphne's cheeks and kissed her forehead.

Daphne looked elated, and although it was most likely her deepest fantasy coming true, she looked a bit surprised to hear the Queen actually compliment her. Eleanor swallowed the lump in her throat, feeling the pressure rise from standing next to someone who had just received such praise from the Queen.

The Queen stepped back from Daphne, turned to face Eleanor, stood for a moment, and then nodded. It was a kind gesture, Eleanor hoped, but the Queen did not say anything along with it. She simply returned to her seat.

As Daphne and Eleanor stepped back toward their mother, Daphne couldn't help asking if this was happening, and upon being hushed and told to keep smiling by their mother, Eleanor took the same advice.

"They are watching you," Viscountess Bridgerton reminded Daphne, "now more than ever."

Eleanor felt the reminder too. The room was all watching Daphne.