The first thing that happened was that Miguel had to verbally sign a consent form that his statement would be recorded and would be on the record. Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, they began the actual Q/A.

"When was the first time your father physically abused you?" The cop asked. Miguel closed his eyes. That night was vividly etched in his memory, and probably would be for eternity.

"Um... I was 9 years old. It was back home in Ecuador. My dad had been drinking. My mom was working late that night so she wasn't home. I was playing with a soccer ball. I accidentally broke a pot plant. My dad stormed over and he hit me across the face."

"With his hand?" The cop asked.

"That time, yeah." Miguel replied.

"But he has used other things before?"

Miguel nodded

"Oh yeah. Definitely." Miguel replied.

"What exactly has he used to physically abuse you?" The cop asked. Miguel chuckled mirthlessly and put his head in his hands as the nightmares came rushing back thick and fast. Once again, Miguel started to squirm around in his seat, and it took Sam's calming words for him to stay calm.

"Um... let's see. He's used his fists and hands obviously. There was a baseball bat. Glass beer bottle. Belt. Brass Knuckles. Mini Screwdriver."

"I'm sorry, mini screwdriver?" The cop asked. Tears formed in Miguel's eyes as he stood up and rolled up his shirt slightly. Sure enough, just above his waist were numerous crossed scars that had clearly been made by a screwdriver. Sam started trembling slightly when she saw the evidence of her boyfriend's torture, but she forced herself to hold it together. For Miguel. Even the cop closed his eyes in pain at the thought of a child abused like that.

"Yeah, pretty gnarly, huh?" Miguel remarked. The cop slowly nodded.

"Yeah, do you mind telling us what happened?"

Miguel took a deep breath and nodded.

"It was when I was 11. In the past, I had had an irrational fear of needles, and my school were getting their mandatory injections done..."

5 years ago...

It was injection day in school - the school forced all of its students to get the country's mandatory vaccines on campus - and it was always Miguel's least favourite day of the year. Even at age 12, Miguel still had an irrational fear of needles. Whenever he even saw one, he began to hyperventilate, and having to get an injection in front of his other classmates would be utterly humiliating for him.

Therefore, Miguel decided to cut classes that day. He came home to an empty house at 4 pm: thankfully, his father was not home from work, and his mom was also still at nursing school. He was extremely lucky that neither were home to hear about how Miguel cut school. The school had called, Miguel had answered pretending to be his dad, and that was supposed to be the end of it. However, he wasn't that lucky.

That night, his father stormed into the house, slamming the door behind him and throwing his toolbox on the ground. Miguel's father was a 'handyman', or at least that was his day-job to cover his gang actions.

"HEY, BOY! GET IN HERE!" His dad shouted. Miguel groaned as he heard his father enter the house, and he slowly walked out into the living room.

"Hey, dad." Miguel murmured.

"So..." His dad scowled at him. "Your principal came to see me at work today. Told me you cut class. Now, why'd you do that, son?"