꧁Don't Blame the Dog: Chapter 1꧂

Start from the beginning

"Maybe we can tell a professor," Lily suggested, her red hair streaming behind her like a banner in the wind. 

"It'll be too late."

The two girls were panting and sweating as they ran their course across Hogwarts — up and down corridors, up the stairs, back down the stairs, checking in classrooms as they passed by.

Lily took a sudden stop in the corridors that connected to the dungeons.

"They wouldn't — be stupid enough to go — down here," she tried reasoned, panting.

"I know you complain about them all the time — so you of all people should know that they'd probably choose a classroom down here on purpose."

It was definitely a struggle to get out their words after jogging for tens of minutes around the whole castle.

M/n was suddenly thankful that it was April. If it was just a month earlier, the corridor they were standing in would be filled with a frosty draft that bit  her face, but the cool breeze now blowing in was enough to slightly brush against her heated face.

"I—think—they're—in—the—Gryffindor—common—room," Lily panted once more, leaning over slightly.

"Maybe you're right—"

But right at the moment, the silence in the air was broken with a loud crash. M/n whipped around, staring at her friend with wide eyes.

"I'll kill him," Lily growled out, and M/n, noticing the venom in her voice when she had spat out him, didn't need to question who he was.

The redhead barely had the time to glance at her friend before she took off toward the classroom where the noise came from.

Sighing, M/n sprinted after Lily, ignoring the adrenaline pumping through her body when she thought of time traveling.

The shadows where Lily had positioned herself beckoned M/n over, and a spill of moonlight that illuminated Lily's bright, green eyes was the only thing that let her know that she was even there. Lily waved M/n forward, and then pressed her finger to her lip.

M/n peered through the slight crack of the door, and personally found the scene inside quite amusing.

Remus, who had naturally caught her eye first, was reading a section of an old, musty book out loud, "After the Angel's Trumpet put in five packets of those powders you found."

Sirius, looking inside a wooden box, held up a clear packet that contained golden powder. He grinned triumphantly, holding it up against the moonlight.

The boys didn't have any source of light besides their wands emitting a soft light and the moon, struggling to make its way in through the dusty windows. 

There was a bubbling potion in the middle of the boys as well, and M/n had a suspicion it would be turning gold once those packets were in it.

"Are you sure we need five?" came the voice of James Potter. He was leaning against a table, occasionally running his hand through his hair, looking almost nervous about what the future could bring.

M/n heard Lily let out a barely-audible, disgusted groan at the sight.

"We need one packet per the year we want to travel," Remus hummed, running his finger down the page once more.

"Well what's the point of only traveling five years in the future, Moony?" James asked once more. "Things can't be that much more different..."

"We already decided to test a small amount of time first."