THE BACK UP GUY PART 6

“Remember, no heavy work for you.” Kellita called after Nicki as she and Phil disappeared into the house.

“Doctor’s orders, I know.” Nicki replied. “Be a darling and rent me movies, unless you want me to go out and watch them on big screen.”

“Anything for you, sweetheart. You know I promised dad that I would take care of you.”

Nicki blew her a kiss. “You’re the best sister ever. Just don’t spend too much time on me. Go out have fun.”

“Yeah.like I ever do that.”

“I don’t mean the getting drunk going out. Like the coffee dates with Travis. You’re doing great.” Nicki led her to the seat.”He’s a good person.”

“Where are you getting at with this?”

“Naive, big sister. That Travis guy likes you; it’s all over his face. You like him too.”

“No way! First, he doesn’t like ‘like’ me. He still remembers the drunken sight of me when he looks at me.”

“He likes you, period!” Nicki insisted. “You should go out with him more often.”

“I can’t. I’m still with Jamie, remember?”

“There’s nothing for you with him. The guy walked out on you, just because you couldn’t quit your job here and move out with him. So much for a good boyfriend!” Nicki said. “Has he even called you after that?”

“He did.”

“How many times?”

“Well………..a couple.”

“Liar! Once or twice but not more than that. I can bet my life on that.” Nicki made Kellita face her. “He’s not here, Travis is and he makes you laugh and smile and have fun and be yourself, well not the boring dorky side of you-of course. Just the cheerful Kellita I know.”

“Jamie…….”

Nicki rolled her eyes.”I’ll slap the daylights out of you. Screw that Jamie! Wake up, will you? Going out with Travis and having a good laugh with him doesn’t make you a cheat. Unless you do want to go the extra mile….”

“Of course not!”

“Good. Do what I’ve told you. It won’t hurt. Stop sulking like a widow. That guy hadn’t even asked you to marry him. Moving in with someone and getting married to them are two different things.”