4 The Mind Reader

“Kylie?” a gruff voice exclaimed. “Is that you?”

“Who else would it be Phillip?” Kylie said in a flustered voice. “Now tell these hooligans to put all their toys away. You’ve frightened my kids!”

“They aren’t toys Kylie,” said the same gruff voice belonging to Phillip.
“They’re weapons, and-“

“Uncle Phillip!” exclaimed the children in unison interrupting the man. They ran happily into his arms. 

“And the kids seem fine to me,” finished Phillip. 

If anything Isadar was the only one who seemed at all surprised; especially when Phillip waved his arm slightly and the armed men jumped into the branches of the trees, almost too fast for Isadar to see. 

Kylie eyed her older brother by nine years. He was the village elder now. She beamed with pride.

“Link!” Phillip exclaimed. “You’ve grown so big!” Link blushed as his uncle patted him on his back.

Phillip looked Isadar over, and noted the confused expression on his face. He pulled Joseph aside and whispered loudly “What do you think you’re doing leading an outsider here?

“He saved our lives,” Joseph said in a normal voice. “What did you want me to do? Leave him to be murdered by the king?”

Isadar looked over at them alarmed. What had he gotten himself into by assisting Joseph and his family?

Phillip walked over to Isadar and peered into his eyes. He stood just a bit too close for comfort. Isadar backed up a step.

“Hmm, I see,” He said, as Isadar looked at him with a raised brow.

“That’s interesting…”

“Oh Phillip, stop it!” Kylie said. “You’re not fooling anyone. We know you don’t read minds, and from the look on Isadars face, he doesn’t either.”
Isadar was relieved; he had no idea what Phillip was attempting to make him believe. He just hadn’t wanted Phillip that close to him, I was a shock to have a gruff man get that close to his face. Phillip burst into laughter.

“Okay, okay,” he said in between guffaws. “If Kylie trusts him, so do I. C’mon.”

“If you don’t mind my asking sir,” Isadar said to Phillip, “Where are we going? And what did Joseph mean when he said-“

“You’re the lad who wants’ the crest right?” Phillip interrupted grinning suspiciously. “I’m taking you to the one place that is both the closest to it and the farthest away from it. But do me a favor while you're there. Don’t ask any of the people there about it.” Phillip paused, waiting for a response; Isadar didn’t have one. “Promise me,” said Phillip.

“I can’t,” said Isadar. “I can’t promise you that. I am a knight, but I am also a man of my word. And I gave my word to my brother that I would find the Crest of Power for him. I just wish I knew why he began to disbelieve me and put a reward on my head.”

“I think I can explain that,” said Phillip. He turned to Kylie and Joseph, “Why don’t you and the kids go on ahead. This young man and I are going for a walk.”

“Wait!” Zenobia cried running up to Isadar. “You have to show me what’s in your flask… remember?”

Isadar looked at her in amazement; she hadn’t shown any signs of curiosity. And yet… It must have been killing her to know what was inside. He smiled, and nodded his head. She smiled back and said, “When you come back!” Then she rejoined her family.

  *=*=*

A single crow followed them in silence. They didn’t notice it. Isadar had been waiting for Phillip to start, but it had been far too long since they had started walking. He was trying to think of something to say to Phillip to get him started; when suddenly and without warning, he did.

“Have you ever heard the story of the Cave of Japeth?”

“…Yesss?” said Isadar, unsure where this was going. “Why?”

“Japeth… is still alive. And he now has your brother, King Emir under his influence.”

Isadar smiled incredulously. Is this guy serious? How old does he think I am? Isadar waited for the punch-line, but none came. It took him a minute to realize that Phillip was serious. His smile faded. “What!?” he cried loudly.

The crow which had been lagging behind suddenly flew lower and closer, but remained unnoticed by the men. “Are you sure!?”

“Yes,” said Phillip. “May I continue now?”

Isadar nodded, unsure still unsure if this was just a well-planned-out, sick, and twisted joke, or the truth. And he was also unsure if he really wanted to hear this.

“Your brother King Emir was seen entering The Cave of Japeth, just shortly after he sent you on your mission. As you know, Japeth is the evil Magician that plagued the world for a hundred years. It was a beautiful enchantress and that finally locked Japeth in a cave. He’s been there for three hundred years now, with nothing but his own thoughts to comfort him.
It is said that whoever enters into this cave would get possessed by the Magician and have to do his bidding. He would be able to control that person and he could even take over that person's mind, or kill them and still control the body. In some cases that person would cease to exist, and he would be the Magicians tool, forever. It is that cave that your brother went into. He came out a changed man. Before entering his eyes were a deep brown, when he came out they were almost white. Your brother… can no longer be called himself.”

“…Is there no hope for him?” Isadar asked.

“If your brother was skilled in magic and if he had a strong will, he may still exist.” Phillip saw Isadar perk up at this and then said. “It’s only in theory. I don’t want to give you any false hopes.”

“If there is any hope at all, then it is good enough for me. I will get my brother back, and ensure that he is the one who sits on the throne. I know you told me not to ask anyone here about the crest, but I will continue to seek it. I want give it to my brother, when I return this…”

Isadar pulled a chain that was around his neck. On the chain was a ring.

“That is the signet ring!” cried Phillip. Only the king can wear that!

“I know,” said Isadar. “Why do you think I’m not wearing it on my finger?” Then more quietly almost to himself he said, “He must have known he might not leave that cave the same person. Maybe that’s why this was left in my care.”

“Because the ring was left in your care by the king,” Phillip considered aloud, “you may be able to wear it. If it is destined that you are to be King now, it won’t reject you.”

“I think I’ll wait. I have to try to save my brother first. He’s the only family I have left.”