5

(January 13, 2016)

U.S. midfielder Ellie Krieger, who led the women's national team in goals in 2015, has been named team captain along with defender Becky Sauerbrunn.

They take over for veteran Christie Rampone, who has been team captain for seven years, and Abby Wambach, who retired at the end of the year. Rampone is out 4-6 weeks after minor knee surgery.

Krieger led the Americans with 18 goals last year, including a hat trick in the World Cup final.

The 25-year-old has 87 caps, and played every minute of all seven matches at the World Cup.

Us coach Jill Ellis said in statement regarding the new captains "As we move into the next phase of this program, I've selected two captains who I know will represent us extremely well on and off the field and will help facilitate the positive direction of this team. They are two extremely professional players in both game and training environments and they embody the DNA of this program. They are both still young and have been on this team for a while. Ellie has a mentality that allows her to be fun and loving but in a moments notice can change into whatever need be at that moment. They each motivate the girls in their own ways Becky will give the captain talk and Ellie will lessen the nerves of everyone."

(This isn't what she really said)

(January 14, 2016)

@USWNT Our new USWNT Captains!

Each comes with a 🏅 and a 🏆

Tagged @Reeba4 @EKrieger12

Liked by @CRampone3, @AMorgan13, @AKrieger11, and 10,239,504 others

@SMewis3 Go Reeba and Ellie-Bean!

-@EKrieger12 Really Ellie-Bean 😳 @SMewis3

-@AKrieger11 Yes Ellie-Bean!!! @SMewis3 @EKrieger12

@WillIAM103 Oh I get it Jelly-bean = Ellie-bean

@KMewis19 👏 Congrats! @Reeba4 @EKrieger12

@NateMCD Wait doesn't Ellie have 2 gold medals?

Oh Captain! Our Captain!

Captain Broon!

-M

(None of the pictures/GIFS are mine)