002

Rich’s POV

16 years later

Today it’s Saturday and I don’t have any homework to do. I get up from my bed and grab my acoustic guitar. I’ve wanted to play the guitar since I was just a kid so when I got my first job, I started saving money to buy a good acoustic guitar. I had saved some money from birthday gifts and other things of course, so it wasn’t that hard to get enough money.

I sit down on my bed again and place the guitar on my lap. I do this whenever I feel like playing or when I suddenly get an idea for a song. But now it’s just because I’m bored and because I don’t have anything else to do. I think I should just start playing haha.

After about an hour of strumming and singing, I put my guitar back in his normal spot and make my way downstairs. My parents are sitting at the kitchen table. My dad’s reading the newspaper and my mom is playing this really annoying and frustrating game on her phone. I tried it once and believe me, it sucked.

All of a sudden the doorbell rings. Who could that be?

“Rich, could you please answer the door?” my mom says without taking her eyes of her screen. I nod and walk towards the front door.

You’d expect someone to stand there, in front of your door, right? Well there isn’t. Strange..

I look around to see if anyone isn’t pulling any kind of joke on me but there’s nobody around.

Suddenly I notice a box lying on the floor. I shrug and take it inside the house. I thought they didn’t deliver packages on Saturdays.

This time my mom does look up from her screen and a frown is formed on her face. “I didn’t order anything.. Did you order anything, honey?” My dad looks up and shakes his head. Oh well, then it’s all mine!

I run up the stairs and lock my bedroom door behind me. I wonder what’s in the box.

As soon as I want to open it, I notice a lock. Darn it. I touch the lock with the tip of my fingers but pull my hand away as fast as I can when a tiny light shines inside of the lock. Holy cows. That’s not normal.

Because my curiosity won from my fear, I take the lock in one hand and watch how the light escapes between my fingers.

And then, out of the blue, the lock opens and so does the box.

It’s empty. What even?

Okay someone must have pulled a prank on me and I’m probably being filmed for some kind of TV-show right now.

A soft knock on my bedroom door pulls me out my thoughts. “W-who’s there?” No reply. Maybe I should open the door because maybe my mom wants to know what was in the box.

I unlock the door and peek through a small space between the door and the doorpost.

My jaw drops by seeing what’s, or who, is standing in front of me. It’s a boy. A boy who I don’t even know.

“W-what are you doing in my house..?! Who let you inside..?!” My voice is filled with fear. The boy frowns and a confused look covers his face. “I-I don’t know…” His voice is soft and slightly trembling. Wait. Did he just sound scared himself too? Maybe I should give him a chance..

I open the door a little wider and let him in. I notice a little mark in his neck but I can’t really see what it is. He sits down on my bed and sighs.

“So this is the place where I got sent to..?”

Wait, what?