prologue

The silhouettes of cat bodies intent on reaching their destination slunk through the shadows. In the distance, the pool stood out against the darkness with moonlight dappling its surface. By its tranquil body stood the shaded outlines of the cats that had already assembled. Fragments of their conversation were carried into the air by the breeze. Some voices were raised in protest, while others were tense, and others just plain and languid. The gist of their discussion was indecipherable, but some remarks could still be grasped.

"That's a prophecy?!" Some cat huffed incredulously. "That's the worst form of atonement ever possible!" "But my kin had nothing to do with this." "The clans have seen enough strife already!" "Green-leaf is approaching!" "I don't like you Shellgust." "Windclan? Why!" "But those two cats have already hurt enough!" Eventually the last silhouettes reached the gathered cats.

Duskstripe lashed his tail impatiently, rattling the withered grass stems near the pool. "You took your time", Dusktripe said coolly as he eyed his former mate, Meadowfall. In the ranks of Starclan, Meadowfall had chosen her first love, Clawshine, over him. He'd only ever been Meadowfall's subordinate second love amid her grief for her fallen soulmate. It pained Dusktripe to know that he'd fallen for the deceitful she-cat's manipulation so easily.

Leafpounce must've noticed the tension between the two cats as she lashed her tail, indicating business. "Save your quarrels for later, we have come here for more significant matters." At the sound of her commanding tone, the bristling mates quieted down. Leafpounce then gestured towards Emberpatch who stood rigid by the pool.

The cats' eyes widened as the tom's paws morphed into a patch of ember for a brief moment and unleashed sparks into the pool. The sparks dappled the surface and overran the moon's encroaching light. The pool's surface then ignited. But within a heartbeat the flames that licked the pool's surface vanished. It had dissipated just as quickly as it had appeared.

Duskstripe's eyes blazed as he mulled over the vestiges of what he'd seen. He wanted nothing more than to leap on Meadowfall and drown her in the same incineration. It took all of his might to stop himself from either whipping his tail or twining it with his former love's bushed one. Instead he worked his claws into the ground and kneaded it.

His daughter, Tawnybriar, had always been just as thick-faced as her mother. The last time he'd visited the pool to connect with the clans, he'd found her lying in the nursery on fresh bedding with her flanks rounded with unborn kits. He'd initially been proud of the expecting queen, but the instant his eyes had fallen upon the yellow tom licking his daughter's ears, Duskstripe's spirits had plummeted.

He'd felt empathy well up inside him for Sandbreeze or any mate Tawnybriar would proceed to take on which Duskstripe hoped would not be necessary. He wanted Sandbreeze to live a good life. The fact that their pelts looked quite similar in appearance only rattled him more. They were characterized by oddly akin yellow pelts. The only thing the handsome tom was missing was Duskstripe's oddly colored ears. 

Evidently the commiseration wasn't necessary at the current timing given the new family's harmonious existence. But Duskstripe was fully aware of the potential those she-cats harbored to snap out of thin air and turn on everything their initial demeanor promised. He knew the twinging feeling his heart experienced every time his emotions conflicted. Part of his heart wanted to guzzle his mate with the affection he'd always manifested and the other wanted to gauge out his mate's eye.

Eventually, one of the cats that had remained silent the entire time straightened up. Maplegaze stood high with their lanky body. Her slim tail shivered in perturbation, its form causing the moonlight's reflection on the pool to waver. Emberpatch gazed at the former Windclan medicine cat with conspicuous fondness. Clearly Emberpatch would've taken her on as a mate if she hadn't been a medicine cat, one of the most sacred members of a clan.

Emberpatch clearly believed that his feelings weren't apparent enough to be noticed. He must've also believed that standing behind the she-cat would've masked his presence. But that astute cat had never let any nuance slip past her in her living days, so Duskstripe could never imagine her not noticing. But if she'd fathomed the tom's fizzing, she took no notice. Instead she only bluntly stated what she intended. "The blazing dappled fire will behold an immense force while it lasts. But the more it rages, the easier it will be to quench and the faster its energy will drain out, and the more of a void its extinguish will leave behind."

A/N: recently I've put an effort into writing in present tense instead of past tense... but the warrior cats series have always been composed in past-tense. so in other words this ff will be in past tense. :))