The River of Horrors - (18+) (pt 4)

QUICK A/N:
Okay so this was all originally meant to be in one part but its 7.3k words in total so I'm splitting it up into 2 parts. Meaning that this story is going to have a LOT more chapters than I intended.. Originally I was just gonna make the River of Horrors only 4 chapters but it looks like its gonna be a lot more. Oops 0_o

──────────

THE RIVER OF HORRORS

───── ❝ PART 4 ❞ ─────

"Ho. Ly. Fuck."

He stops himself, standing at the ledge of the shallow cliff. Schlatt's eyes widen as he takes a good look at the surroundings of the Outside World; the mess of the world that is laid out beyond him.

"Woah," Connor murmurs breathlessly, his hair gently blowing into his face by the breeze of the afternoon air. With slumped shoulders, he stands beside Schlatt. "It's like... Hell, on Earth."

Before the two boys, is a clear landscape of a small town, which was the closest place to them considering their home was an area secluded from reality. It was an hour walk through the forest, and there was a small transport Cable Car railway that led them to the closest town, which was about another 1 hour ride.

And now, here they are, standing before a complete and utter dumpster fire; infrastructure of what used to be small towns and markets were nothing but collapsed ruins; the windshields of the last few cars on the street were smashed in, and their tires were torn out, rolling across the empty suburbs. Oh yeah, ghost empty suburbs. There is no sign of life anywhere in sight.

And there's an incredulous amount of blood smeared all over the floor, and walls of the last remaining market stalls standing. And of course, garbage is littered all over the streets.

"It's worse than your room." Schlatt elicits with a facetious remark.

Mesmerised by the horrific view, Connor only murmurs a "yeah...", before realising what he had said. "Wait... Hey!"

Schlatt folds his arms, examining the surroundings that are laid out. He's had a hunch that the virus turned people into cannibals — especially after the conversation they all had with Ty before arriving here. But even so... It had not occurred to him that reality would look nearly as bad as this.

Surely the entire world doesn't look like this, right? He comes to the wishful deduction that this place was most likely used as the main feeding grounds. Well, it was either that, or the entire world looked worse than this.

"This doesn't make any sense," Connor mulls over out loud. "It was only, what, yesterday? That we even discovered this virus, let alone what effect it had. Don't tell me that all of... this happened within the timespan of 24 hours!"

Yeah, so much for the government keeping this a secret from the public.

Nodding, Schlatt's lips curve with a fair amount of depreciation, before responding. "Well, we also have to acknowledge that our base is outcasted from society, so we might have been a little behind on things... Either that, or these cannibalistic people are hungry out of their fuckin' minds."

"It might be a bit of both."

The two boys fall quiet for a moment, and as their alluding silence hang in the air, they both turn quickly to face each other, raising their hands as they comically exclaim in sync: