Chapter 2

Buck's on his way to work. He's not running late but he also doesn't have a whole lot of time to catch his bus. The usual.

The elevator is stopping on the sixth floor and Buck's heart stops, thinking the elevator broke again. But then the doors open and one of his neighbors from the sixth floor is walking into the elevator. The neighbor he was actually stuck with. Buck laughs to himself.

"What's so funny?" his neighbor asks, amusement playing around his lips. It's the same expression that made Buck resent him initially. Buck's come to appreciate it now.

"Ah, nothing," Buck replies sheepishly.

"On your way to work?"

Buck nods.

"Me too."

The doors close, and they're moving. But not for long.

Buck looks at the lights in disbelief, then at his neighbor, who's matching his expression. Only the scowl is new.

Buck waves at him. "You know the drill," he says, and his neighbor gets to work on the door.

Again, nothing happens, so he presses and holds the emergency button.

The call connects and they go through all the steps again, the person on the other side reminding them that the crazy scenes they see in movies won't happen and that they are totally safe. That the elevator can't fall.

A technician will be there in an hour.

"I felt safer before the reminder," Buck comments once they disconnect.

His neighbor laughs and again, Buck is quite pleased with himself.

Then he slides off his jacket, laying it on the floor, and pushes up the sleeves of his shirt over his forearms, before sitting down on the jacket.

Buck shrugs and sits down on his side of the elevator.

His neighbor turns to him. "If this becomes a pattern it might be nice to know each other's names. I'm Eddie."

"Buck," Buck replies, and "it's not a pattern yet."

Eddie lifts his brows.

"One's chance," Buck recounts, "two's coincidence, three's a pattern. We're at two now."

Eddie laughs at him, and Buck is reminded why he started liking it.

"We're on our best way to make it a pattern though," he points out and Buck replies with a shrug.

Eddie leans his head against the elevator wall behind him. "I'll have to call in late to work."

At this reminder, Buck mimics him. "Oh shit," slips out of his mouth, "me too."

They both get out their phones to do the calls and Buck thinks that, no matter how much it sucks to call your boss, their calls will at least pass some time. It's better than to just sit around and do nothing.

After they finish their calls, they sit around in silence for a few minutes, fiddling with their phones and staring at the walls.

"Ah!" Buck exclaims excitedly, "I downloaded a mobile game."

Eddie raises an eyebrow at him, questioningly. "You did?"

Sheepishly Buck ducks his head, both at his not very subtle attempt at doing conversation, as well as the confession he was about to make. "The last time we were stuck in this elevator..."

Eddie huffs a laugh at that.

"... you said everyone played them. And well, I hadn't so far. So I did some research."

Eddie widens his eyes incredulously. "You did research? On mobile games?"

"Shut up," Buck laughs, "it's not my area of expertise."

Eddie shakes his head.

"So I downloaded Hay Day."

"You downloaded Hay Day." Eddie seems to ponder over it. Then he tilts his head. "Do you like it?"

"It's surprisingly fun," Buck admits, "but I don't like the long waiting times."

"Yeah," Eddie huffs, "that's how they try to get your money."

" Right? " Buck latches onto it. "Why make the game free if you're gonna charge for everything anyway? Just make people pay for it up front!"

"I can't believe people spend thousands of dollars on that." Eddie shakes his head. "But I assume that is exactly the reason. How much does a game cost on a console? Maybe sixty dollars, possibly eighty. They can [probably] get a lot more this way."

"Yeah. I still prefer consoles. You can keep your mobile games."

Eddie opens his mouth as if to say something but closes it again before a word can leave it. Instead, he chuckles.

"I hope your meeting with your sister was nice the other night."

Buck furrows his brows at that obvious change of subject but it's not more sudden than his exclamation about mobile games earlier, so he goes along.

"It was," he reassures Eddie, "Maddie is a big fan of wine and I've been getting cooking lessons, so we've made it a thing of proving our knowledge to each other. I'm choosing the recipe to prove I can indeed cook, and she chooses a fitting wine to prove she knows her wine."

"Does it work?" Eddie asks and Buck shrugs.

"Most of the time." He laughs.

They jolt when the voice comes back through the speakers to check in with them and inform them of the technician's progress.

Buck starts laughing once they disconnect, Eddie joining in soon.

Once they calmed down, Eddie worries his lip with his teeth.

"I'm not a good cook," he admits, "it's one of the things my parents have always been criticizing."

Buck shoots him a sympathetic glance, extending his legs for as far as possible in the small elevator.

"I haven't been until recently either." A shrug. "And if I was still talking to mine, they'd have probably bugged me about it too. But it's been fun to learn."

Contemplating, he tilts his head. "You say that like they criticize you a lot."

Eddie huffs. "Yeah. I don't think I can do anything right in their eyes." He shrugs. "But I don't wanna bore you with that."

"Oh, you aren't," Buck rushes. For a second, none of them speaks. "Is that why you moved so far away from them?"

"One of the reasons," Eddie nods and Buck can't help but nod along.

"Yeah."

It feels shorter this time, surprising them both when the emergency worker connects to tell them the technician is there and will soon get the elevator to work again.

They get up, slowly, collecting their things, stretching their limbs. It moves, and they both exhale in relief, sharing a smile.

"Let's not make this a pattern," Buck says when they leave, though he has the suspicion that he doesn't quite mean it.

Eddie laughs at that and shoots him an "I'll see you around." when they part ways in front of their apartment building.