chapter 2 : mabel

Start from the beginning

Eloise sighed. Her brother, as much as she wanted, didn't understand. "That's not my point, and you know that."

Somedays, it just seemed as if no one would ever understand.

Before Eloise could say anything more, she saw her mother walking towards the swings.

She quickly took the cigarette, and shoved it in her notebook, hoping her mother didn't already see.

"I'll see you inside," Benedict said as he gave his mother a kiss goodnight and made his way back towards the house.

"Yes, mama?" Eloise sighed, wondering what horrendous task her mother had in mind right now.

Her mother took a seat on the swing and faced Eloise.

"Lady Danbury has just informed me that she will be hosting a ball this week and I want you to attend."

"What? Why?!!" Eloise could feel the blood in her cheeks rushing. "The season hasn't even begun yet? You said I could wait until it started!"

"Yes, but this will give you an opportunity to meet the other debutants, without the pressure of possible competition."

Violet took Eloise's hands, trying to ease her as she could very clearly see Eloise's discomfort. "I just want you to have an idea of what the upcoming season might look like, I truly do think you'll enjoy it."

"Mother, you surely cannot be serious," Eloise snapped, pulling her hands away.

Her mother must have known that Eloise would do anything to postpone entering society.

"Please, Eloise, I beg you to attend with me. You cannot possibly think your mother could go unaccompanied by her daughter, right?" Violet pouted.

Eloise sighed deeply, knowing it had been tough for her mother lately, having Daphne, Colin and Francesa out of the house. She was experiencing an empty nest.

"Fine" Eloise said dryly "but you owe me one, mother."

Her mother smiled gratefully, as she stood up and walked towards Eloise. She grabbed the notebook out of Eloise's hands, and opened it, revealing the hidden cigarette. She smirked.

"Why don't we call it even?"

~~~~~~~

Eloise walked down the staircase towards the ballroom, clutching the banister, praying she was not going to fall in her heels.

She sighed in relief as she made it to the last step, but fear began to creep over her mind as she realized that walking down the stairs was probably going to be the easiest part of tonight.

She looked around the ballroom, barely recognizing a single face.

She hoped to see Penelope but that was unlikely as the Featheringtons hadn't attended a single social event since the passing of their father.

At least she had her mother by her side, so she was not completely alone.

"Eloise, I am going to go greet Lady Danbury. Wait here, I shall be back shortly."

"Well so much for not being alone", Eloise grumbled.

She looked around the large room, wondering where she could go, as she could not spend the rest of the night standing at the bottom of the stairs.

She considered her options :
Gossiping with the other ladies? No
Finding a suitor and talk to them? Even worse
Dancing? Eloise laughed in her mind, knowing that was never ever going to happen