Chapter 7: Mr. Fix-It

Start from the beginning

Coming back into the kitchen, AnnaLee grabbed a stool and sat down.

"What did you tell her?" Nik asked.

"That I'm back at college and I just needed space."

Nik nodded.

"I still have questions." Anna reminded.

"So ask. I'm sure I have some answers." Nik said as he set a plate in front of AnnaLee. She smiled. He even cut the crust off.

"Where is Maks?"

"Of course that would be your first question. Tak predskazuyemo. (So predictable- Russian)" Nik smirked. " 'Maks' is busy with pack stuff. Nothing to concern yourself with... Next."

"Who are the wolves that are outside the borders?"

"They call themselves the timber wolves. They come from Germany. Don't ever get caught up with them, Anna. They are savage and they have been feuding with Maksim now for quite some time. Maksim can fill you in on the rest."

"Why did you call me Luna?"

"Because, you're Maksim's mate. He's the alpha, so that makes you Luna. Without you, our pack will fall apart."

"So Maks and I are mates?" AnnaLee asked in confirmation.

"Yes. I thought that became clear yesterday."

"If that's so, why do I bother him so much?"

"Because he cares about you." Nik saw the confusion on AnnaLee's face so he continued to elaborate.

"Maksim is a very troubled wolf. He went through a lot as a pup. Things no one should go through. So, now, I guess you could say his emotions have hardened. He doesn't care for much. Only his pack and his sister. Well, hopefully me too. I'm kinda the best friend." Nik winked. "I think you scare him, because the bond you two have is making him care, when he doesn't want to."

"I don't think he cares." Anna mumbled. She knew it must be the bond that is making her heart sting at the thought.

"Please. Let me tell you something. Last night, he ordered me to keep you under top security and make sure you were well fed. He also told me me to call him immediately if anything happened and that he would be coming by at four to check on you."

"He did?"

Nik nodded.

"That's hard to believe." She added.

"Well, believe it, baby. I have come up with a way to test my theory. All I need is your full cooperation."

"I'm not sure that's a good id-"

"I'll give you twenty bucks."

"Nik, are you being serious?"

"Do you want to know if he cares or not?"

"Fine."

***

"Are you sure he will even care about this? All I'm doing is wearing your clothes."

"I know what I'm doing, Anna. My scent will be all over you and it will drive Maksim crazy. We are territorial creatures. Hurry and go put these on. He'll be here any minute."

AnnaLee scurried into the bathroom. She knew this wasn't a good idea. She didn't want to play a game with Maksim and it felt like that is exactly what Nik is about to start. But if she was being truthful, AnnaLee did want to see Maksim's reaction.

As AnnaLee was putting on the last of Nik's clothes she heard the cottage door open.

"Nik, where is she?" Anna knew it was Maksim because of his smooth yet rough voice.

"I think she just got out of the shower. I took some towels up there a little while ago."

What?! Nik saying that was not apart of the plan! Maksim was just supposed to see her in the clothes. What game was Nik playing?

"Anna!" Nik shouted.

That was her cue.

AnnaLee quickly left the room to see Maksim look at her with narrowed eyes. Uh, oh.

"You smell like wet dog." Maksim finally broke the silence.

"I smell like Nik." AnnaLee mumbled as she peered up at the alpha through her lashes.

"Exactly... I have some clothing of mine in the car, go help yourself." Maksim ordered.

"But-"

"Go, Anna!" He demanded, using her name for the first time.

"Leave me to my beta." Maksim turned to Nik with steely eyes.

AnnaLee backed away, towards the door. Before she left she heard Nik gulp.

AnnaLee had found the clothing easily, and boy did it smell good. Maksim smelled even better than Nik, even better than her grandpa's coat.

When AnnaLee got close to the cottage, she heard growling.

Opening the door, her eyes searched for any trouble.

Maksim was sitting on the arm chair comfortably, seeming very passive and relaxed. Nik on the other hand, was sitting across from him on the couch with a busted lip and swelling cheek. He looked as if he had been roughed up.

"Nik!" AnnaLee ran to him and took his face in her hands. "What happened?"

She ran her fingers across his cheek, and started wiping at the blood dribbling down his chin with the edge of her shirt.

"My plan backfired." Nik smiled, his bloody teeth showing. Then he grabbed AnnaLee's small wrists and pulled them away from his face. "I'm fine, Anna. Me and Mr. Punishment over there have been through this before."

"Are you sure you're-"

"AnnaLee, he's fine. Your coming with me." Maksim broke in. He found it amusing how she cared for his beta already, even if it did make him jealous.

"No, I'm not. Nik, is hur-"

"Yes, you are!"

AnnaLee froze in her spot. Maksim's voice changed. It was suddenly deeper and oozed authority. The sound of it caused a chill to run the length of her back.

Shaking the feeling off, she started again, "I'm staying here."

Whatever AnnaLee had resisted in Maksim's voice, soon became evident that Nik had not.

"Anna you need to go. I'll be fine."

"Are you sure?"

Nik nodded and mouthed "go".

She turned around to face Maksim, and asked, "Where are we headed?"

"You, Mon Amour (my love- French), are moving in with me."

___________________________________________________

Let's try something new...
The person with the best comment on each chapter gets that chapter dedicated to them.