➳ 𝐬𝐢𝐱: 𝘢 𝘳𝘢𝘪𝘯𝘺 𝘯𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵 𝘪𝘯 𝘤𝘩𝘪𝘤𝘢𝘨𝘰

Start from the beginning

Will knew for years that there was something weird but in a good way about Mike. Will had always been dealing with sexual identity issues ever since he was in grade school, so it was no surprise. But the problem here was — why Mike? Out of all the boys he could fall for, why his own bestfriend? The one whom he knew he didn't have a chance with. Will didn't know if Mike was like him, if he was gay. I don't think he is. I mean, he has a girlfriend. He's attracted to girls. He's not like me. He even straight up told me that four months ago. Will cogitated.

"You're destroying everything, and for what? So you can swap spit with some stupid girl?"

"El's not stupid! It's not my fault you don't like girls!"

The same eight words had been stuck in Will's head ever since it had been released by his bestfriend's mouth. He didn't know if Mike meant it, but he did want to know.

A part of him wanted to ask Mike about it weeks after July fourth, but he felt like he would be acting too childish if he did so. Mike seemed to not want to bring it up either, but Will felt like he would go crazy if he didn't get an explanation. He doesn't know it, does he? He can't. There's no way.

Will squeezed his eyes shut, letting out a heavy sigh as he listened to the calming but slightly frightening sound of the rainfall, along with the rustling trees that were caused by the strong wind. He wrapped his left hand around his right wrist, tugging on the sleeve of his sweatshirt, pulling it over his hand; then did the same thing with the other. It was undeniably cold. Freezing cold. Will's heater was turned on, but it didn't feel like it was enough as the wind blew slightly stronger — being able to pass through the tiny spaces between the windows of Will's room.

His eyes accidentally landed on his nightstand, catching sight of his teddy-bear-sized frog plushie resting on top of it, next to the mini lamp. The corner of Will's lips turned up into a soft smile. He lazily bent over, reaching for the stuffed toy that he kept since he was a child, which reminded him of his only bestfriend at that time. He carefully pushed the pillow — that he was hugging — to his left, replacing it with the plushie. Will turned to his right, now facing the wall as he hugged the stuffed frog toy. His lips stayed curved up as he thought of the one and only Mike Wheeler.

Will's mind went to thinking about the present; Halloween night. What did the Party do for Halloween? Did they go trick or treating?

So far, the Byers boy's Halloween night wasn't as bad as he thought it was gonna be. He spent the night with his family; his mom, Jonathan, and El — watching scary movies with stacks of snacks on the living room's coffee table. They started at nearly 8:00 pm, but didn't end until 12:00 am. The four immediately went to their bedrooms after saying goodnight to each other. Will had fallen asleep at around 12:30 am, and was now woken up by a stupid nightmare at four in the morning.

Still, he wished he could spend Halloween with the Party, no matter how much fun he had tonight. It was already a tradition for him to go trick or treating then binge-watch scary movies with the Party at Mike's basement, and it felt really weird to not at least see them or hear their voices at their favourite night. Thinking of the Party going trick or treating without him felt sad, but he didn't even know if they did go trick or treating. I should've asked Mike. Will thought, remembering the call he had with the Wheeler boy two days ago.

And at some point, Will had realized something. A special something.

One year ago the night before was the same night that Mike had told him something special that touched and melted Will's heart.

"Hey, well, if we're both going crazy, then we'll go crazy together, right?"

"Yeah. Crazy together."