Chapter 1: An unfortunate meeting

Start from the beginning

"For the love of God, Anthony. Please. Please take this seriously. You have nearly no options left" and she now had a pleading disposition and tears formulating in her eyes. Oh no. As much as he was against this idea, he did not like to see his mother hurt. He had seen her cry plenty a time, after their father had died and remembered the times where she could not get out of bed, thinking about what on earth she had to do with 8 kids on her own.

So, he took a deep breath, glanced at his mother, and nodded. They arrived at the Kensington's, a large house with white limestone and black frames, an impressive building to see, that was for sure. They reported to the butler and soon Henrietta Kensington and William Kensington arrived.

"Welcome, welcome" both said, Henrietta kissing Lady Bridgerton and William gave a hand to Anthony.

"How lovely that you found our address" stammered a nervous Henrietta Kensington and mother and son looked at each other briefly, struggling to hold back their laughter.

"Well let us not just stand here in the corridor.. If you may follow us to the drawing room" Henrietta said which the Bridgerton's dutifully did. There was no sign of Miss Mara yet, to Anthony's displeasure because he wanted to have this thing over yet rather quickly.

Arriving at the drawing room, Henrietta Kensington looked apologetically at her guests.

"Please forgive my daughter. She is not in the best of moods today" she said, a little anxiously, whereupon mother and son exchanged glances, this time of curiosity.

The door opened and she stepped inside and there she stood, right in front of the fireplace. Mara Kensington, not very tall, black hair, expressive brown eyes, slightly ... thicker than the regular ladies one normally visited, and a look on her face that spoke volumes (not amused).

She bowed politely and smiled briefly at the guests but refrained from further movement.

"Mara dear, come a little closer" and her mother threw Mara a menacing look. Mara walked forward with difficulty, kissing Violet Bridgerton briefly and bowing again to Anthony.

"Pleased to meet you" she said gruffly to which the Bridgerton's replied the same.

"Now that we have become acquainted. Lady Bridgerton, I have heard that you are a big fan have the books of Mr. Collins.... I would like to show you my collection in the library".

"Oh, " said Violet coyly. "Yes, that's right. I would love to see your collection but" and she looked at Mara and her son " but perhaps another time" she replied a tad anxious.

It was not quite according to decorum to leave Anthony and Mara alone already and she was worried about the consequences.

"Oh really... But I was so looking forward to it" Henrietta stated faking her disappointment.

"Please, I would so like to discuss these wonderful books with you" to which Violet could do nothing but politely say "all right then".

The Kensington's and Lady Bridgerton, this one reluctantly, then walked out of the room, leaving Mara and Anthony alone.

An awkward silence followed which was finally broken by the "possible wedding candidate".

"Would you like some tea, Mr Bridgerton?" she asked quasi-polite, to which Anthony replied in the affirmative. Mara pointed to the sofa so that Anthony could sit down and took the teapot from a table, poured it, walked up to Anthony, and handed it to him without looking at him. She then went back to the table and put some delicacies on a plate and poured herself a cup of tea.

She sat down opposite Anthony and handed him the plate of sweets. Then silence... Uncomfortable silence but this time Anthony did something about it.

"I understand you're new to London. How do you like it so far?" Anthony wanted to know.