Prologue

Alec Lightwood, once again, awoke in his cold bed, alone. Even though it was just him now in the bed, he stayed on the left side of the bed, balancing the bed out. His wife would usually snuggle into the side of him or his back, either tracing his runes with her finger or his muscles gently as she woke up. Her small body would be half the size of his, so he would sometimes worry about squishing her during the night, keeping to his side of the bed.

She wasn't there anymore in the institute so Alec didn't have to worry about squishing her but force of habit made him stay on his side of the bed. It had been two months since she had gone missing on a mission, and Alec was trying as hard as he could to try and find out where she was taken to and who was she taken by.

Alec sat up in his bed and looked around the room before slipping out, his feet hitting the cold flooring whilst the duvet fell from his torso and his waist onto the messy bed. He moved over to the closet and stopped, looking inside it. All of her clothes were still there, hanging up neatly and organised, like she had arranged them almost 5 years ago.

He sighed, before pulling out a pair of black jeans and a black shirt that he paired with his black leather jacket, that she had bought for him when they first started dating. His eyes landed on her bottle of perfume, that Alec had bought her a couple of months ago, sitting on white vanity table where her makeup and hairbrush sat.

Alec could remember those days when Izzy would barge into their room, kicking him out so the two Parabatai's could get ready together, laughing and giggling like school children. 

He never noticed the salty tear that rolled down his face as he remembered his wife and sister laughing together.

Alec glanced at himself in the vanity mirror, noticing how different he looked. His hair had grown longer and unkempt and there was a bit of stubble from where he hadn't shaved in the two months. There were large purple bags located under his eyes as he usually had only 3 or 4 hours of sleep before he would wake up, panicking and needing to find his wife. 

His blue eyes lowered to what he did daily, tracing his wedding rune that was on the back of his left hand before running his finger over his wedding bracelet that he exchanged with her on their wedding day. Every time he saw it, he would feel extremely guilty for not stopping her from going on the solo mission; thinking it was his fault that she was taken.

Before he could even think about putting on his shirt, his wedding rune and tracking rune for her began to burn, making Alec jump in surprise. It hadn't done this since she was around 2 months ago; and he was praying that it wasn't a malfunction or glitch and that she was close by. He instantly ran to the door, throwing it up before rushing off to find his family to tell them.

Isabelle Lightwood hadn't slept that night at all, consuming herself in the work that she was doing. She spent the entire night looking at the screen, watching the video of her Parabatai being taken, frame by frame trying to see if she could find something that would help them find and save her.

She picked up her fourth cup of coffee as she looked at the screen again, starting the video from the beginning, analysing the video once more. Tears began to well up in her eyes upon seeing the panicked look in her eyes as she watched the video. She groaned as her head fell to the desk in front of her, placing her hands on her head trying to stop the tears from falling. 

Looking up, once more, she noticed her brother standing in the doorway watching her almost have a breakdown. She shook her head as Scott Lightwood moved closer to his sister to comfort her.

Even Scott was struggling to hold it together for his older brother and younger sister. He was close with her. When Alec had proposed, she had asked him to walk her down the isle, since both her mother and father were killed when she was around 7 and her older sister didn't bother to come to the wedding or even bother to respond to the RSVP invite that they had sent. She was the only one who also knew his secret.

Scott had got Izzy up from the desk and maneuvered her into the kitchen, where he poured her another coffee and got one for himself and Jace Wayland, who was already sitting in the kitchen, looking over a file on the table in front of him.

The three of them sat in silence before Izzy's Parabatai rune began to burn, making her drop her coffee and cry out in pain and surprise. Both Scott and Jace moved towards her, going to ask her what was wrong before Alec burst through the door, instantly landing his eyes on Izzy, who nodded to him.

"Your rune is burning too?" He asked, a hopeful tone evident.

"Yeah." Izzy nodded breathlessly. "Do you think she's close by?" She asked, making him sigh.

"I really hope so." He whispered but was heard by Izzy and Scott, who nodded.

"What is it? Who do you hope is close by?" Jace asked, confused by the Lightwood siblings. "You don't mean...?"

"Yeah." Scott said.

*Time Skip*

For the whole day, none of the four shadowhunters had stopped using the scanners, sending them out to search but so far, they had turned up empty. They held their breaths every time the institute doors opened, hoping it was her.

After they realised that the searching was pointless, their next best option was going to see the High Warlock of Brooklyn, a close friend to her. They had spent around 20 minutes arguing as to who goes to see him before the scanners let out a loud siren, alerting the institute someone was near and trying to get in. Alec, Scott, Izzy and Jace all grabbed a seraph blade each before heading for the door.

When they opened the door, they could see a figure in the dark, laying on the ground, not moving. Alec rushed forward, noticing the blonde hair and dropping to his knees behind the figure.

He turned the figure around as the other came up behind him. They all gasped at the sight of her, especially Alec.

"It's Melanie." Izzy breathed out in relief and surprise. 

He noticed that she was still in her gear. 

Her jacket and her shoes were missing and her jeans were ripped into shred, more like shorts rather than jeans. Her top was stained with blood, they were unsure of whether it was hers or someone else's. A seraph blade sat a little ways away on the floor.

Alec instantly shrugged his jacket off before wrapping it around her and picking her up so she was cradling her to his chest. He never noticed the tears, once again, pouring down his face. Jace quietly moved towards his adopted brother and sister-in-law, and placed a hand on Alec's shoulder. 

"Come on." He said, quietly. "Let's get her into the infirmary."

Alec instantly responded by heading for the front doors, and stepped up the stairs, carrying her into the warm institute with the other's following behind him.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------