Chapter 14

Yangyang's head was throbbing from memorizing where the police were stationed but at least he could race again.

He hummed to himself as he sat on the hood of Ten's car, scrolling through his phone. Despite the people gathered on the street that night, he was distracted, the song he had created with Xia stuck in his head.

It was fine though since for once, it seemed like no one wanted to bother him.

Ten was standing in front of his car, chatting with some people as he got the latest street racing gossip. Hendery was off to the side, showing a few others his car and modifications.

Another reason why Yangyang wasn't being dragged around was because this was a smaller race. The bets were a few hundred dollars, which was only a fraction of the money Ten had won for his last race.

Yangyang was excited to race again, practicing all night the day before with Ten to make sure his skills were up to par. Ten had quickly found someone interested in racing with him, someone who was just starting to race.

"Yangyang, come here." Ten called out, making Yangyang slide his phone in his pocket. He hopped off the hood, joining Ten and the small crowd in front of him.

Yangyang noticed Ten was talking to two men. Well at least he assumed it was two men because one of them looked like a scrawny high school kid, being around Ten's height and wearing glasses. The only reason why Yangyang assumed he wasn't a kid was because kids wouldn't come out to races like this.

The other male was taller than Yangyang with fierce eyes. He seemed cold and intimidating at first, but once he gave Yangyang a small smile, it was like his whole demeanor shifted, giving off a warm and fuzzy vibe.

"This is your opponent for tonight." Ten said, motioning to the small boy. The boy gave him a smile, sticking out his hand. "Huang Renjun."

Yangyang nodded, shaking Renjun's hand. "Liu Yangyang."

"This is Winwin, my mentor." Renjun said, smiling as he motioned to the male behind him. Winwin gave Yangyang a small wave as Renjun said his name.

"Winwin and I are good friends." Ten told him. "We relate when it comes to teaching our skills to the next generation, no matter how annoying they can be."

"Hey!" Yangyang exclaimed, making the others laugh.

Renjun rubbed the back of his head, glancing at Winwin before turning back to Yangyang and Ten.

Ten noticed this, smiling at Renjun and gaving Yangyang's shoulder a pat. "Renjun here hasn't raced much, so let's go a little easy on him."

"Wait, what are you saying? I-" Renjun was cut off by Winwin, who gave Renjun a squeeze.

"We should begin our checks. Best of luck tonight." Winwin said, giving Yangyang a look before the two of them went to the car parked beside Ten's. It was a nice silver Subaru Impreza.

Once they were gone, Ten leaning in towards Yangyang, making Yangyang step back.

"Yah, come back." Ten said, tugging Yangyang close to him again.

"Alright, alright." Yangyang said, rolling his eyes. "What's up?"

Ten looked around to make sure no one was listening before whispering into Yangyang's ear.

"I know I said go easy on Renjun but don't. Show them every skill you know tonight, Winwin isn't here to play. He's here to observe and you need to impress him if you want to go futher into the street racing world."

Ten's words confused Yangyang and judging by the way Ten reacted to the look on his face with a sigh, the older male could tell as well.

Ten leaned in again, talking so quietly that Yangyang could barely hear him.