33. never knew

Mulai dari awal

"How about when you're around her. Do you feel uplifted, maybe even like a weight is lifted off of your shoulders?" A second nod.

"When she was taken, was it impossible to think about her not being in your life anymore?" Another nod.

JJ's lips curled upward. "Spence, that's love."

Spencer never knew how to find love. Sure, he loved his mother, his teammates. But that love was familial and platonic. It's not like he had years of dating experience, but with what he did know, nothing gave him the slightest hint of romantic love. That's why he couldn't label the surge of emotions he felt when he looked at, thought about, or was with Francesca. Having JJ help define his feelings was revolutionary.

"I love her," he breathily whispered, looking down at his feet. "I love her."

JJ chuckled, patting him on the back. "Don't tell your Converse that," she teased. "Tell her."

.・。.・

Once the doctor entered the waiting room and informed the B.A.U. team that Francesca would be allowed visitors, it was mutually agreed upon that JJ would see her first. The blonde stood in the doorway of Francesca's room, staring lovingly at her best friend sleeping peacefully in the hospital bed. She tip-toed inside after leaving a light knock on the doorframe. The paralegal stirred, but once her eyes opened, her face lit up. "Hey, J," she croaked.

JJ sat in the chair beside the bed, crossing her legs. "How are you feeling?"

"Pretty good for a girl that was just kidnapped by her psycho ex," Francesca sarcastically replied. "I told you that he wasn't the one."

"Yeah, Griff," JJ airily laughed, reaching her hand out to hold Francesca's frail one. "You were right."

The two sat in comfortable silence for a few minutes, mutually appreciating each other's presence. JJ's mind then drifted to her conversation with Spencer. "I know it's not my place," she began, "but do you really love him? Spence, that is. He had mentioned it to me."

Francesca's expression softened when she remembered the words she told her boyfriend when he rescued her. She gave JJ a warm smile. "Yeah. I really do. I probably scared him off a bit when I told him, but he needed to know."

JJ's eyes sparkled, heart thumping hard in her chest. She squeezed Francesca's hand. "You two were made for each other," she admitted, welling up a bit herself. "I would've never guessed it, but it's true."

Despite being physically and mentally exhausted, Francesca was beaming. She didn't even know if Spencer felt the same, but that didn't really matter to her. This whole experience made her realize that she wasn't going to hold back anymore. She kept that in mind when JJ left the room, announcing that Spencer would be the next to come in.

Spencer approached the entrance to Francesca's room timidly, but when he saw her sitting up straight and looking seemingly healthy, he felt as though he were at home again. "Hi, pretty boy," Francesca greeted him with a smirk, tapping an open space on the bed. "Come sit."

Careful not to hurt her, Spencer did as she wished. Francesca held a hand out to him, her fingers wiggling as indication that she wanted him to take it. Spencer cautiously laced his hand with hers, the familiarity warming him. "How are you feeling?" he asked quietly.

"I don't want to talk about how I'm feeling," Francesca dismissed his question. "I already did with JJ, and I'll be getting that question enough."

Spencer nodded bashfully. "Right. Of course."

"I only mean physically, though," the girl continued. "I'll talk about how I'm feeling emotionally, starting with what I said to you out there."

Spencer was nervous to bring this up, so Francesca's urgency didn't help. "I meant it," she smiled. "I do love you, Dr. Spencer Reid. If you don't feel the same, that's okay, bu–"

"I love you, too, Francesca Griffin."

Francesca didn't expect that so early, but her grin grew, Spencer replicating it after his sudden confession. "Well that's a relief," Francesca joked, earning a laugh from him. "Hey, tell me one thing, though." Spencer raised his eyebrows, telling her to ask away. "Was Patrick telling the truth? About you being kidnapped and addicted to that drug he gave me?"

Spencer swallowed hard, grazing his thumb over her knuckles. "Uh, yeah," he exhaled. "It was a long time ago."

Francesca felt herself grow weak again. "Am I going to be okay?" she meekly questioned, genuinely worried that life-long addiction was awaiting her.

Spencer truly didn't have an answer for her. He though he'd recover from his kidnapping, but it only led him down a hole of drug abuse. But, he had this infinitesimal feeling that Francesca was stronger than him. Where he felt weak, she could overpower in her life. "You will," he stated, "and if anytime you aren't, you should tell someone."

The girl formed a half-smile. "Will you lay with me?" she started moving over in her spot.

As well as he knew that he'd have to check back with his team, Spencer wanted to be with Francesca now more than ever. He just learned that today – that it's love, after all. He slid into the sliver of space next to his girlfriend, allowing her to cuddle into his chest. He planted a kiss to the top of her head before draping an arm over her.

It was then that Spencer vowed he wouldn't let her slip away again.

.・。.・

𝐌𝐀𝐂𝐊 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐓𝐒!
i'm soft
ofc they love each other
they're soulmates pls–
i've been making manips of
griff and reid but i don't
know how to incorporate them
into the story
maybe a bonus chapter?
not sure, but you'll def see them
at one point or another!