Chapter 37: The First Cry

Start from the beginning

The nurse gave us some privacy and disappeared to the waiting room to let a waiting Ivy and Lola know the good news.

"Look at my little man." Joker bragged, looking down at the baby in his arms. "He's really ours."

I nodded, neither one of us able to hide our smiles. Joker's smile, however, soon faded as he readjusted Ace into a more comfortable position.

"What's wrong?" I asked. If I was being honest, I didn't care what was wrong with Joker. I only pretended to care for the sake of my baby that was still in his arms.

"Well, he's perfect." Joker pointed out. "He's everything a father could ever want. Everything that...I...want."

"but?" I asked, knowing there was more.

"But I can't have him. I just don't understand, Harley." He shook his head in disbelief and subtle anger. "I mean, just look at what we can do together! We created a beautiful baby boy and, just for a moment, everything was perfect. But....but you're trying to take all of that away from me! You're trying to take my son away!"

"You can still see him. I told you that. I still want you in Ace's life, but I just can't give him to you. I need to be with my baby more than you." I explained.

"What if we lived together?" Joker pushed. "That way, we can both see Ace for equal amounts of time."

I stared at Joker, completely dumbfounded. Was he serious? Had he forgotten everything he had done? There was no way we could ever life together without bringing toxicity into Ace's life, which was the last thing I wanted for my kid.

"Are you serious right now?" I rhetorically asked. "Joker you...you raped me! I never even wanted kids. I mean, now that I have held Ace I couldn't see myself living without him, but that's not the point. You forced this onto me. So, no. We can never, and will never, live together. Think about Ace! Staying in the same house would only bring unneeded stress on him. And are you forgetting that you're still a wanted criminal? I don't want that life for my baby."

"HE'S NOT JUST YOUR BABY, OKAY?!?! HE'S OUR BABY! OURS!" Joker yelled, his eyes turning fiery with rage.

"Joker..." I whispered, trying to de-escalate the situation. "Joker, give me Ace."

He looked down at Ace before allowing his gaze to meet my eyes. Something looked different about him. His eyes were no longer fiery, but instead ice cold. Joker didn't say a word; he just stared into my soul, body frozen and firm. An evil smile stretched itself onto his face as he pushed Ace closer to his chest.

"You want Ace? Come get him!" Joker cackled as he took off out the door. " Catch me if you can!"

I didn't have enough strength to get out of bed and Joker knew it. I could hear his infamous laughter echo throughout the hallway. I screamed as loud as I could, hoping to get the attention of a nearby nurse. I had to get to my baby before it was too late.

I tried getting out of the bed, but my legs collapsed from underneath me. I was sent crashing to the cold hard floor. I used my arms to try and crawl my way to the door, but it was hopeless. I heard some broken vases smash around in the background before a baby's cry screeched over all the noise. Ace. I could only hope that the wailing was result of the loud noises and not any physical harm.

A few minutes later, Lola came into my room, clearly shaken up. She immediately knelt down to my side and tried to help me back onto my feet. It was no use. I had cried and screamed out all of the strength I had left in my body.

"My baby..." I managed to whisper. "Where is....he?"

"Don't worry, Harleen. Ivy has him." Lola reassured as she put a hand on my shoulder in a poor attempt to lessen my panic. "Batman and Ivy were able to catch the Joker and send him back to Arkham without harming the baby. Ivy should be in here any minute now."

As if on cue, Ivy burst through the door holding Ace. She sat next to me on the ground, not questioning how I had gotten there in the first place. She handed Ace over to me. As soon as he was in my arms again, I burst into tears, completely overwhelmed with everything that had just happened. Ivy wrapped a firm arm around my shoulders, and pulled my back into her chest. She laid her free arm over one of my hands that were holding Ace.

"He's gorgeous. What's his name?" Lola asked, reminding me she was still there.

I noticed Ivy give Lola a death stare as if to tell her that now was not the time. I softly smiled at the hint and pulled myself together, quickly swiping at my slowing tears.

"Ace." I smiled at his name. "Ace Napier."

"Napier?" Ivy questioned, clearly dissaproving.

"Yea." I sniffed. "It sounds more manly than Ace Quinzel."

"You know what does have a nice ring to it, though?" Ivy smirked. "Pamela Quinzel."

"Of course, of course. One thing at a time though." I giggled. "Soon."

Soon.

**A/N: When I was thinking of names for the baby, I eventually decided on Ace. I figured that it fit the whole deck-of-cards theme that the Joker has. Plus, it's a pretty badass name if you ask me. Upon further investigation, however, I discovered that there is already a DC character named Ace. So, just for clarification, the Ace in this story has no connections to the other Ace in the DC universe. He is a completely different character with his own personality. That's all!**

Until Next time,

-Deese