We had brought sandwiches and cheeses for our picnic and as the evening drew closer, the temperature was dropping. Micah had wrapped a blanket around himself and our baby and everything was peaceful and quiet. The weekends had become the only time when the four of us had the opportunity to spend time together. It was sad to think about. Like so many others, we had fallen into the routine of "eat, work, sleep". After studying biomedical engineering for four years and getting my bachelor's degree, I had managed to get a job at the university hospital where I did my internship. Now what? Was this the end of my road? House, baby, job. At twenty-three I already had the life of a thirty-five-year-old. I sighed and collapsed into Kennedy's slender shoulder. Sure, I loved spending time with my little family. I loved hanging out with Kennedy and Micah. I loved taking care of Smith. But life was becoming repetitive now that I had a full-time job. I was lucky to be doing so well at my age. I was lucky to have a good income and a nice life. But something was missing.

Ever since my mom's visit, I had been feeling anxious and down. It never occurred to me that I might have family that I don't know about. Never before had I thought of my dad or what his life might be like. Her visit had planted the thought of my father in my head.

Kennedy ran his fingers through my hair, gently rubbing my scalp. "Are you okay?" He asked. I opened my eyes and looked at him. His brows were furrowed.

"Should I contact my mom?" I asked. Kennedy flinched, he had not been prepared for the question.

"Fuck no," Micah answered before he could reply, turning around from where he sat with Smith. His hair was wild after having been blown out of place, his cheeks flushed after spending time in the cold. Even if they were wrapped in a blanket, I could tell that he was rubbing his stomach in discomfort, probably cramping. "She's a greedy bitch."

"She's still my mom..."

"She's an asshole!" Micah scoffed and stood up with Smith to put him in the stroller. He had fallen asleep while clinging to Micah's jacket, gripping tightly. "I know you feel some responsibility because you just found out you have more family out there that you've never met, but you have no obligation to take care of her. She's a grown woman, not some needy kid."

Kennedy wrapped his arms around me. "You're anxious about something else, aren't you?"

I sighed heavily. Anxiety was part of it, yes. But what was more was the fear that I was feeling. "My mom is stubborn and she always gets what she wants. The fact that she's been quiet since her visit makes me think she's plotting something."

Kennedy's body tensed. "Plotting?"

My chest ached. Most people would never know what it felt like to desire the attention and affection of someone you despise. "Just... She's not a good person. I could see her trying any means necessary to get her will through. I'm honestly a bit worried for her kids..."

Kennedy placed a soft kiss on my forehead and brushed his fingers over my cheeks. "Seems to me like you're thinking a lot about them," he mumbled.

"If you had siblings you'd never met before, wouldn't you think of them?" I chuckled softly and gently put my hand his slender neck, bringing our foreheads together. "Wouldn't you wonder what they look like? How they're doing? What they're like?" I sighed, kissed him quickly and stood up. "Should we head back?" I asked, turning to Micah as I pulled Kennedy off the ground.

"Yeah," Micah said. "We should make carbonara for dinner."

I pushed Smith's stroller as we walked the mile and a half back home. The late afternoon was bathing in golden rays and despite the cold winds, the evening was pleasantly lukewarm as we got away from the lake. Kennedy hummed to himself where he walked, lagging slightly behind us as he daydreamed. His short, straight hair shifted in the wind. I glanced at Micah. He too, seemed deep in thought, the usual furrow in his brow seeming slightly deeper than usual. I took a deep breath, breathing in the chilly air.