"Tommy got a letter. He died in some bar fight in Boston... Some men he owed money to caught up to him" He told her.

She squeezed his hand a little tighter whispering "I'm sorry Finn".

Ailbhe remembered what Arthur Sr was like. He was a conman and he had never come by an honest piece of money. He was overly charming and wanted everyone to like him but Ailbhe always knew to hate him. Polly had her warned, as well as Finn's own dislike for him. They hated him for walking out on them and they didn't need him when he tried to come back.

Finn's voice cut through the silence

"Apparently he asked for us when he was dying... he wanted us to forgive him"

Ailbhe opened her mouth to respond but Finn spoke first, his emotions finally coming out

"I don't forgive him Ailbhe, none of us do. He doesn't deserve it. I'm sorry if you think I should but I won't" He snapped, shaking his head.

Ailbhe didn't have many specific memories of Arthur Sr but of him drinking too much and being too rough with the older boys. She remembered him beating John for spilling whiskey on the floor and how he roared at Polly when she tried to bring Ailbhe and Finn out of the room. She remembered being frightened of him and how Niall used to warn her to stay away from him when he used to wash up in Small Heath only to vanish again when he'd come back into some cash.

She shook her head, leaning in and resting her chin up on his shoulder

"That's not what I was going to say Finn" she felt his hand tighten around hers "He doesn't deserve forgiveness... he can just be left in the past and forgotten about"

Finn smiled, an almost laugh leaving his lips as he nodded at her. She somehow understood it, understood him almost better than he understood himself. He pulled her hand into his chest, pressing a kiss to it.

"Come on" he spoke, taking her hand and helping her down off the bale "I'll walk you home"

Part of Finn's new duties were to keep an eye on Ailbhe, to protect her. She was young and could be seen as a weak link, she could be taken or used as leverage on the Shelbys. Tommy also knew she could be used to divide the Kennedy's loyalties. If the Russians or the Italians took Ailbhe, and used her as a bargaining tool they know that there is nothing the Shelbys and Kennedys wouldn't give to get her back.

A small rule within his new duties was to keep his hands firmly off her but he was struggling with that last part. They walked home the long way, walking slowly and enjoying their time together just the two of them. Finn just watched her and listened to her as she told him about work and the upcoming plans.

Ailbhe had been given her own tasks by Tommy. Each member of the family was given a list of tasks. Ailbhe's included stealing a number of private, sealed documents from offices in London as well as ones from the War Office. It was one of her talents but Ailbhe didn't like to use them, she wanted to come by things honestly now. But Ailbhe knew Tommy needed her help for this, he had entrusted her with these tasks and she wasn't going to let him down.

Ailbhe grew quiet as they reached her front door. She passed the cigarette back to Finn letting him finish it and throw it to the ground. Finn waited for her to take out her keys and go in home but she stopped, her handbag in her hands.

"You don't have to kill her Finn"

He knew immediately she was talking about Mrs Changretta. He knew she had been thinking about it the whole walk home, he could almost see the cogs turning behind her eyes.

"Ailbhe... Tommy said -" He started to speak but she cut across him.

"Tommy is grieving, he is emotional and he isn't thinking clearly"