He walked at a snails pace towards Dumbledore.

"Can you believe this Ginny! How did he do it?! You better ask Ron about it. He would know. What an awful cheater!" Sadie was whispering in Ginny's ear and she was shocked. She couldn't believe it. She wouldn't. He wouldn't. But as he walked up to the front and through the door to the chamber like all the other champions she knew it had to be true.

How could Harry possibly do something like this?

Although Ginny didn't know him well, she knew well enough that he doesn't like the attention he gets for being "the boy who lived". She's known that since her first year. But now she isn't so sure.

————

Ever since Halloween it had become increasingly difficult to get away from talk of the champions. Now even Ron was seeking her out to talk about it since he was no longer speaking to Harry. Which she had told him was stupid, but of course he didn't listen.

So it was after dark that Ginny strolled through the grounds, heading towards the edge of the forbidden forest. Simon looped around her fingers and up her arms. The Norwegian Ridgeback copy was a gift from her brother Charlie and when she heard about Hagrid's fascination with the creatures she couldn't wait to introduce them. 

Simon stood on her shoulder as she knocked on the hard wood door.

The half giant swung the door open, holding what appeared to be a large cross bow which he lowered upon seeing the red haired 13 year old. "Ah good evening Ginny! What can I do for you?" Hagrid said albeit sternly considering the time of night as Fang came bounding through the door. "Hi Hagrid! Just thought I'd drop by to say hello." She smiled warmly patting the big black dog that was trying his best to lick her face.

"Well come on in! I've just put the kettle on." Hagrid ushered her inside with a reasoned muttering of "can't very well send you back to the tower alone this time of night," and they began their usual chat with dragons becoming a recurring topic. 

————

"You know Ginny, you really ought to start your studying for exams. We're learning so much so quickly I can't imagine being able to take it all in without at least nightly revision! I've tried to convince Ron and Harry, but you know how they are! They barely finish their homework unless I pester them about it." 

Hermione was chatting away as they walked to the Gryffindor common room together. 

To Ginny's surprise the girls had remained close even after school returned. She had expected Hermione to ignore her once they returned to school, much like Ron and Fred and George. 

"I think I'll be alright Hermione," Ginny smiled as she held in a laugh. 

The bushy haired girl looked as if she wanted to say something more about the topic but held her tongue and instead started on something new. "Oh Ginny! I've been meaning to ask you, would you mind... wearing... hold on-" Hermione began rummaging through her pockets and shuffling books between arms. "Ah!" She pulled out a badge that read - 

Support S.P.E.W 

"What's spew?" Ginny asked holding the badge. "Not spew, S-P-E-W. The Society for Promotion of Elfish Welfare." Hermione said proudly and began to talk more about her campaign. 

Now, Ginny knew all about house elves and how in some, most, wizarding families they are treated poorly. But unlike Hermione it seems, she knows that the elves like their work, they don't want to be set free or even think they need rights. Ginny looks down at the badge in her hand and the passionate girl in front of her and feels torn. 

She clips the badge to her jumper and smiles but it does not reach her eyes.

Friends first. She finally decides. Besides, Hermione just wants to give the elves rights, nothing wrong with that, she reasons.

—————

Ginny was sitting on a bench beside Grace and Julia when Harry walked into the courtyard. Immediately Julia scowled and began whispering with Grace who looked confused but muttered words of agreement.

Ginny watched as people flashed badges reading "potter stinks" at the boy. 

She really didn't want to be mad at him, but why does he feel like he needs even more fame? The red head watched as Malfoy and his goons began their usual tormenting. 

"Don't you think it's just awful Ginny?" Julia asked and Ginny turned her attention away from the quarrelling boys.

 "Hmm?" She murmured. "It's completely unfair! Potter's 14! He's not even allowed to enter! Let alone be champion as well as Cedric. I mean, sure, Gryffindor pride and whatever but Diggory is supposed to be the only champion! I know he's a Hufflepuff 'n all but Potter's just totally horrid and selfish from trying to take-" Julia began to rant. "What's going on over there?" Grace pointed to where a crowd was gathering, cutting Julia's sentence off. 

The girls got up and ran over to see Professor Moody putting a white ferret down Vincent Crabbe's trousers. 

"You know, I think I'm going to get one of those 'potter stinks' badges." Julia said firmly. "Oh please don't Jules!" Ginny said quickly. "Why not? He's an awful person." "Because... uh... then  you're just as bad as him?" Ginny offered. 

"Alright. Not because of that stupid reasoning. But because you still like him and so I'm going to be a good friend." Julia teased with a smirk.

She then linked her arm with Grace and walked off smiling. Grace looked back at Ginny curiously, as if contemplating the possibility. "Oi! Julia! You know it's not like that! Julia! Don't make me hex you!" Ginny yelled running off after the girls.

————

Bit longer than usual I think... did you like it? I dunno, I'm trying to figure out how to make it more interesting, eventful. That's what makes Harry Potter so good I guess. It'll get there I think. There will be a bit of drama in a chapter or two (Yule Ball...). But I want action not just romances and shit like that. If you have any ideas let me know or comment or something. Thanks so much!

Bye 👋