Snake in the nest

Começar do início

"Mr. Potter, what is the best way to prepare pixie wings?" he asked.

Harry frowned for a moment in thought, making sure not to stop stirring his potion. "I suppose, sir, that it depends on the purpose of the potion they're being used in. If they're being used in a stimulus potion, such a Pepper-Up, then they're best powdered as this would increase the surface area and speed up the reaction time. However, if they're being used in a glamour potion like Polyjuice, they're best chopped as this would make the effect longer lasting," Harry said, remembering the information he had read in Snape's old textbook he borrowed in his 6th year.

Severus barely kept his shock from showing. Not only had the boy given a perfect answer to a trick question, but he had understood the effects of ingredient preparation to a level some 7th years had yet to grasp. Perhaps he should have a chat with the boy and see if he had prior tutoring; although he doubted it as Albus had told the staff in their meeting this morning that the boy was muggle raised and new to their world, making Severus wonder just where the boy had grown up.

Meanwhile, the other students, unlike Severus, didn't mask their shock. The other Ravenclaws looked a combination of proud and wary.

"Five points to Ravenclaw, Mr. Potter, for such a well thought out answer," Snape said, shocking Harry into forgetting to add his counter-clockwise stir. Harry didn't think he had ever received points in Potions until Slughorn had taken over. "Please stay behind at the end of class," he instructed.

After the lesson ended, Harry told the other Ravenclaws to go ahead of him and to let Flitwick know where he was.

"If you're sure, Harry," Padma said, leading the others out of the classroom.

Turning to Snape, who had watched the interaction in silence, Harry hoped his face didn't reveal anything. He was glad he had been asked as he needed to question the man about his ointment, but he was curious enough to see what Snape wanted.

"You wished to see me, sir?" Harry asked.

"Yes, we were lead to believe that you had been muggle raised, Mr. Potter, yet you showed a surprising level of knowledge and ability for that," Snape said.

Harry internally cringed. "Thank you, sir," he said. "I like to read and I have an almost perfect recall. I'm also very good at muggle cooking."

Severus hummed in consideration as he looked at the boy. He was tempted to look into his mind but knew such an action would be frowned on. "You do a lot of cooking?" he asked.

Harry flinched, knowing Snape would pick up on it. "Yes, sir," he said.

Severus wondered why his question would elicit such a reaction. "Very well. I will keep an eye on you in class and if I feel you're not being challenged enough, I will aim to rectify the situation."

Harry was floored by the offer; he hadn't considered Snape to be the type of teacher to go out of his way to actually help students achieve more.

"Thank you, sir," Harry said.

"You may leave now," Severus said, wondering about the mystery boy who refused to meet his preconceived expectations.

"Actually sir, there was something I needed to talk to you about," Harry said.

Intrigued, Snape raised an eyebrow in question, "Yes?"

"This morning I visited the infirmary and while there, I mentioned that my scar ointment was running low. I'm not sure about the name of the ointment and when I mentioned its properties, Madam Pomfrey couldn't place it," Harry said.

"I see. Tell me the properties," Severus said.

"I don't know much about it, to be honest. It's pale blue and smells like mint and coffee; there are no fragments in it and the consistency is like melted wax - it also makes the area where applied tingle slightly for a minute. I was told to apply it every night for six months at which point my healer would check the progress and, if need be, change the dose," Harry recited.